• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mini Barrels any good?

I have a load of 5 Litre plastic wine barrels left over from my last trip to France.

I am thinking of cutting off the tops to use as pots. Are they going to be big enough for scotch bonnets, and Habaneros?

IMO they are kinda small for chilis at maturity...that's about 1 1/2 gallon (or a little less)...they would be fine for a "second" transplant before going on to larger pots...

TBH I was thinking that myself, but at the same time I was thinking how cool they would look if I made a hole to plant into.

TBH I was thinking that myself, but at the same time I was thinking how cool they would look if I made a hole to plant into.
Maybe you could cut out both ends and sink it into the ground a little.

That is genius!

I have decided to try it with a dozen, the barrels are designed to lay on their side, so I am going to use a hole saw to cut two holes in the "up" side (one for watering/feeding) and some 1/2" holes in the "down" side which will let the roots grow into the soil when they are ready.

Thankyou

That is genius!

I have decided to try it with a dozen, the barrels are designed to lay on their side, so I am going to use a hole saw to cut two holes in the "up" side (one for watering/feeding) and some 1/2" holes in the "down" side which will let the roots grow into the soil when they are ready.

Thankyou
Cool. Can't wait to see how that turns out for you.
Should make decorative planters!

I thought someone might like to see how the Barrels turned out.

SAM_2236.jpg

SAM_2236-1.jpg

Also this is what Ebay think is a Trinidad Scorpion!

SAM_2238.jpg

Any ideas? Pod is about 3" long

They look great for the time of year started, though the barrels look like they wouldn't be too good as intermediary pots, quite a bit of work to get them off if you ever wanted to transplant to something larger unless you were to cut them in half around the middle and only use the back half.

They look great for the time of year started, though the barrels look like they wouldn't be too good as intermediary pots, quite a bit of work to get them off if you ever wanted to transplant to something larger unless you were to cut them in half around the middle and only use the back half.

You are right there, basically to get them out I would have to destroy the barrel, I did do some where I cut the ends off (on the right of the row) but they didn't look as good.
I have been feeding them a couple of times a week to make up for the lack of soil and they are only slightly smaller than the ones I planted in 15Ltr buckets.

I don't know if it is just me, but the first picture vanished? I edited the link in again, so apologies if you all can see two of the same picture.

Acutally, they look pretty good.

I saw the boots under the table. At first I thought someone was lying under there, LOL.

Back