• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Missing Pods

This is my first year growing superhots and as such I keep a close eye on all of my plants. I'm currently growing the following:

1 Butch T
1 Carolina Reaper (not producing true pods or is some strange cross)
3 White Bullet Hab
2 Red Bhut
1 Devils Tongue

My Butch T and Reaper are loaded with pods but none have ripened until recently. Each morning before I hit the road I take a look at any new growth and snap a picture of the pods that are starting to ripen. Long story short I've been watching the biggest pods on each plant ripen over the last week and half. I went out to check them this weekend and they were gone. I have had issues with people taking a short cut and walking through my yard so I suspect someone snagged them while doing so. The stems were still attached to the plants and the pods were no where to be found. I'll post some of the pictures I took of them ripening when I have better cell service. 

Wish I could've at least seen their face when they bit into one of those pods. Just stinks that someone else got to eat the first superhot I would've grown on my own. 

I've had similar issues this season, too. In my case, they're damaging/stealing from sweet pepper plants. About a month ago, one of my Chablis plants (great sweet bell variety) had a bunch of pods missing. A half dozen pods (some immature, some full size) were pulled right off the pedicels. Also, one of its main branches and some on neighboring plants were broken off at the main stem. It looked like somebody spiked a basketball on them or just jumped in the garden. 
     Then a week or two later, some dickhead took our newspaper from the front steps by the sidewalk and pitched it into my raised beds snapping off all kinds of branches and littering the yard with newspaper pages and advertisements. 
     It sucks to have your first superhot ganked right out from under your nose. If it's any consolation, the best pods are the ones that come midseason anyway. So at least they didn't get the best of your crop. I still hope your pods put their dumb asses in a world of hurt!
     Morons. What's that old saying? Can't strangle them. Can't shoot them in the face with a bazooka.

Reading things like this seems very odd.  I do love peppers, but would not risk my life to acquire one.  Are you sure it wasn't a critter.  I am sure humans will do this occasionally, but around here when things go bump in the night folk go outside with a 12 gauge.

ajdrew said:
Reading things like this seems very odd.  I do love peppers, but would not risk my life to acquire one.  Are you sure it wasn't a critter.  I am sure humans will do this occasionally, but around here when things go bump in the night folk go outside with a 12 gauge.
same here , but i'm out in the stick by the river . private lane ,  i would be setting traps if i was in town and my pods were getting stolen ! it be war time !     :onfire:

These responses are great guys! I unfortunately live in town right now but the house is still insured properly. Thing is they had to come through during the day as my dogs, 1 90lb olde english and 1 30 lb olde english pup, would have let us know someone was out there. 

I'm more inclined to think a person snagged the Butch T because I had a spider living in the top branches of the plant for the last month or so. I watched him every day when I was taking pictures of the pods and when I realized one was missing his web was trashed so it seems to me that someone reached from the top of the plant between the branches. 

Trying to buy a new house outside of town in the next month or two so this will all be in the past. Can't wait

Back