• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mitzi's 2020 pared down grow

2019 was a poor year.  I had too many plants and they didn't get potted on when they should nor did they have the space and air and light they needed.  Even the plants in my neighbour's greenhouse didn't produce until very late into the autumn and most pods got frosted before they ripened.  Generally disappointing.

I am overwintering indoors:
  1. Bahamian Goat - three years old, entering its fourth year; wondering if it's past its best now?
  2. SB MoA - ditto
  3. White Bhut
  4. Caramel Moruga - currently has about 10 pods ripening
  5. Peach Fatalii - currently flowering and has set about 10 pods
  6. Chocolate Nagabrain
  7. Trippaul Threat White - currently flowering but doesn't seem to be setting pods
  8. BOC
  9. Havana Gold
  10. Guyana Rush (Heefy's cross) - not sure if this is still alive though
  11. El Oro de Trinidad - also Heefy's cross; didn't get much off it last year so hoping for better things in its second year
  12. Ethiopian Berbere - not sure if this is true as its pods are dark red rather than brown
  13. Chupetinho
  14. Cayenne
I sowed five lots of seeds on 29 December but only the IC2 (Ivory Coast) have germinated.  I've got six seedlings of that; I want to grow a few plants of it to see if they are consistent and whether it's worth developing as a variety.  Sowed another six varieties this last Sunday (12/1) but none of them have germinated yet.  I'm wondering if the airing cupboard isn't as warm as it has been in previous years?  We had a new boiler which might have affected it.

The European Seed Train has just reached me and it's so tempting but I really want to keep my grow down to about 40 plants maximum this year so with 14 overwinters and 6 seedlings so far, I have to control myself.  

Haha, you've got it bad, Mitzi. Somehow, it always
seems like planting a few more seeds is a good idea  :lol:

Good luck squeezing them all in!

Updated germination list:

Annuum:
Aleppo
Goatsweed
Uchu Cream

Chinense:
Habanero Chocolate
Ivory Coast 2
Purple Peach (CGN21500)
BBG White
BBG Caramel
BBG Chocolate Elongated
BBG Orange
Aribibi Gusano

Baccatum:
Aji Omnicolour
Volcan de Teneguia

Pubescens:
Rocoto La Paz Rojo
Rocoto Manzano

Still nothing from the Sugar Rush Peach.  I'll definitely try another sowing of that.

I'm running out of space downstairs where the seedlings are.  Need to start moving some upstairs, but I've noticed aphids on the overwinters lately; obviously I don't want them to transfer to the seedlings.  There are still a few live ladybirds so I moved four of them from the little bedroom to our bedroom because the aphids seem worst in our bedroom.  I hope they (ladybirds) breed but I'm not sure if there are any males surviving - all the ones I've seen look female-sized.  The company I buy them from doesn't normally have any available until April so I need these few survivors to do a good job of munching on the aphids.

Back