• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Mixing a good potting soil...cement mixer...

Well it's a holiday weekend. I wanted to get some yard work done. I have at least 15 plants that need to go outside. I didn't want to hand mix some potting soil. I picked up a cement mixer from Lowes. I will also use it to do some concrete work.

I must put it together. Will post a pic of it later put together. Went together very fast.

Also picked up 30 used 5 gallon plastic pots for 75 cents each. New ones were 95 cents. These are from a local nursery.

I've been mixing 5 gallons of loamy top soil with 2 liter of hydrocorn lava rock, 2 liters of pearlite, and 8 liters of Sunshine #4 peat moss. Mix it all in my new mixer. Works very well. Not to much back breaking work.

Is anyone else mixing soil like this?

I have been using my Harbor freight cement mixer for making my soil mixes for several years.  It use to be just dirt and peat moss, but due to this forum as well as the Ganja forums, I have been learning how to make a better soil mix.  I just finished off the last of the stuff I mixed up a month or so ago.  I had (24) 5 gal buckets, (2) 35 gallon garbage cans and a 55 gallon drum mixed up.   It is a whole lot easier on the back that the trap method I read about.  It is still a experiment for me, as this year I added a lot of minerals, etc.  Not sure how hot it might be, but nothing had died yet!

I mixed over 36 cu ft of soil in recent months with 5/16" red lava rock as 1/3 of the mix for aeration in a wheelbarrow with a shovel. Hard work but I love it and it keeps me young.....kind of. Haha

Back