• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mixing own potting mix?

was wondering what everyone thought of this recipe for potting soil?

1 Bag Promix (4 cu ft)
6 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
2 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source (as an expense saver 6 cups Bone/Blood meal mix may be substituted with varied success depending upon mix ratio)
1 cup Epsom salts - magnesium source
3 cups dolomite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
2 cups fish/seaweed emulsion – micro nutrients, amino acids, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium

Skip out on everything below the promix. Then get a good balanced fertilizer, i like botanicare or generial hydro maxibloom. If you want add a few handfulls of worm castings or good compost but not over 10% or so of the mix. The lime could help but promix has it in it already.

I have to add that I really like pro mix. However, I use miracle gro potting mix cut with only perlite now. I ran a test: Peatmoss/perlite/lime (ph6.4) mix 15% perlite VS miracle gro potting mix with a little added perlite. The plants in the miracle gro are growing way bigger and faster and I strarted from seed!!! I now understand that it is the Forest Compost in the miracle gro that makes it a good mix. I have worked with coco all the way to pro mix hp and miracle gro potting mix mixed with perlite is a favored mix. It was more or less a test to see what mix I will use on my peppers this year :)

Skip out on everything below the promix. Then get a good balanced fertilizer, i like botanicare or generial hydro maxibloom. If you want add a few handfulls of worm castings or good compost but not over 10% or so of the mix. The lime could help but promix has it in it already.

I have to add that I really like pro mix. However, I use miracle gro potting mix cut with only perlite now. I ran a test: Peatmoss/perlite/lime (ph6.4) mix 15% perlite VS miracle gro potting mix with a little added perlite. The plants in the miracle gro are growing way bigger and faster and I strarted from seed!!! I now understand that it is the Forest Compost in the miracle gro that makes it a good mix. I have worked with coco all the way to pro mix hp and miracle gro potting mix mixed with perlite is a favored mix. It was more or less a test to see what mix I will use on my peppers this year :)

+1 to capsicum on Miracle gro, :)
i use miracle on all my plants even on my hot peppers now also and they all thriving and growing big
u can check my glog here... http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/28727-my-first-noob-glog-2012/
thats my mix for my MG

I'm using MG too and it's working better for me than my pro mix growng mix...Going to be experimenting with a peat moss/lobster compost/perlite/fert mix also...

Use the reg potting mix mixed with perlite. Then fertilize a few weeks later at 1/2 strength. If you use miracle gro water soluble fertilizer for sure use it half strength. You will need gypsum for Ca/S, there is Mg in the tomatoe fertilizer byy miracle gro.

Nice pictures btw^

Yea meinchoh. Even though MG soil is not as economical as promix is it really is a great mix and easy to use. If you add perlite you really get a good mix. The reason I think I had such success with it is because it has the forest compost, one of the best composts you can use in a mix. It also has some nutrients in it and with the added perlite plants want food with in a month, then you have control over fertilizer. I find even with the little perlite they use it drains really well because of the forest matter.

I am using the MG for 3 of my 4 7 Pot Jonah's and they look better than the other, so that tells me what I need to know...

I'm going to be putting my scotch bonnets and red habs in the peat/compost/perlite and fert mix - kinda curious about that...

I am using the MG for 3 of my 4 7 Pot Jonah's and they look better than the other, so that tells me what I need to know...

I'm going to be putting my scotch bonnets and red habs in the peat/compost/perlite and fert mix - kinda curious about that...
update us what will come out with your peat/compost/perlite and fert mix

"I'm going to be putting my scotch bonnets and red habs in the peat/compost/perlite and fert mix - kinda curious about that... "

I would say just use the MG soil, your test shows it works better. I have a mix I tested and it will not be used at all for my peppers, it is not a waste just R&D. :)

I just like pro mix hp because it has 25-30% chunky perlite which in itself it a good deal. At 35-40 bucks for a 3.8 cuft bale that expands to 7 cu ft!!!! That is a good mix for a good price!!!!! I just like the miracle gro because it almost seems to have a better buffer do to the forst compost.

I was reading a few posts, awhile back, from Capsicum and that's what got me to try MG.

:cool:

Yea I think it has a stronger buffer then promix.

Back