• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mjdiamond83's 2012 Grow Log

I'm trying to get a head start on the upcoming season. This is my first year growing superhots, so I'm hoping the early start will help me get some pods, despite having a pretty short season. I started one plant each of Trinidad Scorpion Yellow (first pic) and Trinidad Scorpion Red (right side of 2nd pic) at the end of October and aside from a minor (luckily) aphid attack on my TS Yellow, they're doing fairly well. I think I need to hit them with a little calmag soon though.
IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

I planted a bunch of Chinense seeds on 1/10 and 1/11:
7 Pot Jonah (3)
7 Pot Red (4)
Yellow 7 Pot (2)
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion (2)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (3)
Madballz (3)
Bhut x Douglah (3)
Goronong (2)
Bhut Jolokia (3)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (3)
Dorset Naga (3)
Yellow Bhut (3)
Orange Bih Jolokia (2)
Fatalii (3)
Datil (3)
White Habanero (3)
Scotch Bonnet (3)
Aji Cachucha (3)
Chocolate Habanero (2)
Paper Lantern
Chocolate Cherry Chinense (2)

I also have 10 Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon, 4 Cajamarca x Chocolate Bhut, 4 SB7J, and 4 Bonda Ma Jacques seeds germinating in paper towels in ziplocks on the pellet stove.

IMG_7601.jpg

I was originally going to try and grow twice that many Hots/Superhots, but I finally sided with reason, and decided to cut back a bit. I'm starting a restaurant with my brother in May, so I'm going to grow more mild/medium peppers that will be more practical to make a sauce for the average patron.
Right now a lot of my grow box is being taken up by my first attempt at hydroponics and those two pepper plants. In another month or so when I have to start my other peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillos, etc., the hydro is going to get moved and the Chilly Chile and Scorpion are going to the bay windowsill.

IMG_7603.jpg

Those Scorpions are looking great! You will definitely get pods this summer if they keep growing. I'm in Toronto and started my Scorpions around this time last year and got tons of pods. Best of luck this season!

I'm trying to get a head start on the upcoming season. This is my first year growing superhots, so I'm hoping the early start will help me get some pods, despite having a pretty short season. I started one plant each of Trinidad Scorpion Yellow (first pic) and Trinidad Scorpion Red (right side of 2nd pic) at the end of October and aside from a minor (luckily) aphid attack on my TS Yellow, they're doing fairly well. I think I need to hit them with a little calmag soon though.
IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

I planted a bunch of Chinense seeds on 1/10 and 1/11:
7 Pot Jonah (3)
7 Pot Red (4)
Yellow 7 Pot (2)
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion (2)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga (3)
Madballz (3)
Bhut x Douglah (3)
Goronong (2)
Bhut Jolokia (3)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia (3)
Dorset Naga (3)
Yellow Bhut (3)
Orange Bih Jolokia (2)
Fatalii (3)
Datil (3)
White Habanero (3)
Scotch Bonnet (3)
Aji Cachucha (3)
Chocolate Habanero (2)
Paper Lantern
Chocolate Cherry Chinense (2)

I also have 10 Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon, 4 Cajamarca x Chocolate Bhut, 4 SB7J, and 4 Bonda Ma Jacques seeds germinating in paper towels in ziplocks on the pellet stove.

IMG_7601.jpg

I was originally going to try and grow twice that many Hots/Superhots, but I finally sided with reason, and decided to cut back a bit. I'm starting a restaurant with my brother in May, so I'm going to grow more mild/medium peppers that will be more practical to make a sauce for the average patron.
Right now a lot of my grow box is being taken up by my first attempt at hydroponics and those two pepper plants. In another month or so when I have to start my other peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillos, etc., the hydro is going to get moved and the Chilly Chile and Scorpion are going to the bay windowsill.

IMG_7603.jpg

Nice looking plants! Damn aphids!!!

Those Scorpions are looking great! You will definitely get pods this summer if they keep growing. I'm in Toronto and started my Scorpions around this time last year and got tons of pods. Best of luck this season!
Thanks sauga!

Nice looking plants! Damn aphids!!!

Thanks! I was lucky that I saw them when there was only 1 adult and a few eggs, or this plant would have been a goner with how fast they multiply.

We're starting a gourmet sub shop in Ithaca, NY, where I went to college. Most of the subs are going to be hot subs; Cabernet Steak, Bahn Mi, Chicken Bacon Ranch, and Salmon Salad are a few of the items on our menu. Everything is going to be served on homemade rolls, focaccia, and flatbread and we're going to use a lot of veggies we grow ourselves.

Thanks guys. The first of my seeds germinated today (Chocolate Bhut x Cajamarca) after 3 days on the pellet stove. Pretty quick!

Oh, and I just wanted to say thanks again to all people who hooked me up with seeds. Chris, Chad, Patrick, Edgie, Spicegeist, Wayright, Azguy, Biscgolf, MuskyMojo, JoshuaP2000 and Atomic Cobra Peppers (and anyone else I unintentionally forgot): you guys are awesome, if it wasn't for your generosity I wouldn't be able to try and grow all these great varieties. Thanks!

The Scorpions are stunning. Thanks.

Good looking setup! What does the CalMag do for the plants, and how do you know when to use it? I've not read about that before...

Thanks Erik. Calcium deficiencies cause blossom end rot, which leads to major crop losses if you don't correct it. Pepper leaves tend to pucker when they're short on calcium. My Trinidad Scorpion plants in those pictures look like they're puckering a little bit. I'm not sure if they're a little low on Calcium, or if that's just the way Chinenses grow. The scotch bonnet plant I grew last year looked like that even after I fed it with calcium nitrate.

Starting on 1/13 quite a few seeds on the pellet stove have germinated and been moved to the grow box. I was getting worried that as of last night, no seeds had popped the surface. It's been real cold here over the past week and since I don't turn the heat on in the spare bedroom, the grow box has been hovering around 64 for most of the period that I've been trying to germinate these things. I was hoping that it was the temps and not that the mushroom compost/potting soil mix was too 'hot' for the seeds. I threw an incandescent bulb into the light fixture for the box last night and found that it added about 10 degrees. As a precaution, I bought some Miracle Grow seed starter mix this, in case these seeds wouldn't germinate. A little while ago I went up to give the trays a watering and found 5 hooks (one of them was the chocolate bhut/cajamarca cross that I potted 9 days ago. I'm definitely relieved now. So far the germinated seeds are Choc. Bhut X Cajamarca, SB7J, Trinidad Scorpion Morouga, Bhut X Douglah, and White Habanero. 5 Down, about 91 to go! I'm going to let some more germinate and get some pics up in a few days.

Good luck with the biz... we rent to a cuban sandwich shop, I helped him build the original interior 20 years ago and ya can't fit a car in the lot. Keep it simple and be great at what ya do....

Back