• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense MOA scotch bonnets

These yellow peppers seem to be somewhat new to most people. I'm curious, how long have these been made available to anyone in the public? Were these being stabilized for several years and somewhat recently made available? Everyone who tries them seem to really like them. For those who have tried them, do you think they are one of the best tasting peppers around?

"This bonnet was introduced to the United States by Steve954 from The Hot Pepper forum in early 2013. Steve954 says these seeds came directly from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture's Bodles Reseach Station in St. Catherine's Parish, which he describes as "the Fort Knox of all Jamaican seed banks." He says they were not easy to get as the MOA does not even sell these seeds to Jamaican citizens - only a select few head farmers of Jamaica get the privilege"

I don't know if i'd label them as the best. They are good though. I'd rate them up there with any of the other yellowish colored bonnets and habs. 
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36983-steve954-grow-log/#entry764252

Cycad,

I grew them this year with seeds from Pepperlover.  They were very very good. Crunchy with some fruit flavor. Works well in recipes. The part about them being just introduced to the US in 2013 and being from MoA helped peak interest in people, imo.  I also grew the Bahamian Goat.  I kept going back and forth between the two pods MoA and BG.  In the end I thought the BG tasted better, to me.  My MoA is overwintering and I look forward to more pods next year.  Also, coming from the source it did helped me decide to grow it.  Bottom line is a great pepper with many recipe possibilities.  Nigel did a pod review on YouTube from pods supplied by Jamison.

Hey, how is your jobito?  You were one of the first to put seeds in the ground in July of this year.  I am curious how the plant is doing?

Beer?  mmmmm.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I need to grow this one. To me, I think the Jobito are slower than most everything I am growing. Just now, I have 5 plants with little balls all over them, but nothing white or opening up yet. It looks like any day I will get one to open up, but not yet. As soon as I see white, I'm going to separate those 5 plants so I can get some good seeds out of them to spread around to the group. I might even auction off some seeds and send some money down to Fig. I think one of us needs to hire him and get him up here to live, but I don't know if that is possible. Are they letting anyone out of the country by plane?
About the same time I got the Jobito seeds I got some Wartryx seeds from MA, and I already have a half dozen pods already half way ready. Ajis are sort of slow anyway, but these are even taking longer. Did someone say beer?

I have no reason to change my opinion, Tom. One of the very best out there in terms of flavour. This is from fall 2013, so the first year they were grown out after Steve got the seeds from the MoA in Jamaica. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcnCt5AnT8

Well Nigel, I'm sold! Great review. I have to grow some for sure. I need to get about 20-30 seeds somewhere. I don't like asking for free seeds, so if someone has some pure seeds for sale, I am interested. Judy has them on her website, but you have to inquire for a later availability.
What I am trying to do is limit the types I grow to 25 or less, but have larger numbers of plants for each. I am selling fresh peppers, so I want to have enough for everyone who asks for them. Even though I am always looking for the hottest possible, because that is what most of the people who contact me ask for, I am also searching for the best tasting around, no matter the heat level. So Nigel, the big question, to you, what tasted the best? These, or the Aji Jobito? To me, the other Ajis I have tried have a watered down taste, even if it is good. Where these chinense types just have a richer, fuller taste. I am two months away till my first Jobito. I am hoping that these will be better than the ones I have had so far.
Oh yea, Nigel, have you gotten a hold of one of these orange carbaneros by Tony Sherwood? I have a few coming in the mail. These are supposed to taste really, really good too. Hopefully they are in my PO box right now. Tom

As far as the MoA is concerned. ..getting from judyou isn't the best from my personal experience. .2 or 3 year ago I sent her seeds from Steve's year 2 seeds...she got a red plant from those seeds.. I bought most of the pods.... last year Chris helped me distribute them to the community here and on FB..from my grow alone I sowed seeds I harvested myself... and from 4 plants none grew true ..lol. I had 2 odd mustard plants. A red that didn't look like the previous pods and a chocolate. ..

Back to MoA.. as for purity. Hard to find now a days as I'd say 60-70 now seen to be crossed (have tails) .. it's been a while since I been here but there's a member here who's tag I forgot moved to Tennessee and the MoA was the only thing he took with him and planted...so as far as isolated. .I think that's one of the best bets... I still get pods from others generation x (grown in the US from the OG) batch who get the grade A pod... when I get back home I can see if I can find that seed pack. .. and will let you know. I also have a buddy on FB and also a member here from. Canada who claims he also got puree seeds from MoA... I sowed seeds and I labeled as JmoA JUST to help differentiate source.. I don't think there's any reason for him to BS as he sent them for free...

As far as taste. Love it. As the best tasting. ..well that's your cup of tea. Taste is subjective as we all know.

Growing the MOA myself for the fist time this year. My MOA's are working on their 6th set of true leaves. Very excited

Mine looked ok :)

12193448_1097547806945611_1364802334460894975_n.jpg

Back