• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Moisture Meter

Being a noob, I seem to never know if my seedlings are in need of water or just fine. I know in this first year's attempt, I likely over watered on some occasions and under watered on others.

I had poor germination on a few varieties, but excellent germination on most and am not unhappy with my results thus far.

However, would/do moisture meters make it easier to do a better job of watering, or would I be wasting my money. In my searching, some say they are useful, others say not.

If worthwhile, are there any brands most find good?

I water from the bottom up which has produced tremendous results for me thus far. Peppers don't like to be over watered at all. I stick my finger in the mix just a little bit to feel for moisture. If it is dry and the pepper seems just a touch wilted down then I add enough water in the bottom of the tray so that its ¼" over the top of the channels. That's my 2 cents.

You will gain a better feel of this in time.

The cheap moisture meters are a waste of money. Go into a walmart and try them out in the garden dept if they aren't plastic wrapped. When I tried this, each unit had different readings :(

Back