• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Mongoose + Thai Monkey = Heaven

Yesterday I got my latest shipment of sauces from hotsauce.com who I mention by name here only for two reasons: 1) they're the official online hotsauce retailer of The Hot Pepper (right?) and 2) they did me right by a botched order (on their end) and have had excellent customer service in my last two month spate of rabid ordering and sauce consumption.

Anyways, this post isn't about them it's about sauce.

In my latest shipment was a bottle of CaJohn's Mongoose and a bottle of Captain Thom's Thai Monkey, which I'd heard good things about. I read about the Mongoose via Passow's review on HZO. Yesterday at a Thai Restaurant I mixed two parts of Thai Monkey with one part of Mongoose in a soup cup and had it with my (already pretty spicy) food. It was incredible.

For extract-based sauces, the Mongoose is by far the least nasty with respect to extract flavor, and actually has a pretty good taste in its own right. The Thai Monkey is phenomenal and the less foolish at the table loved the Thai Monkey just straight.

Lately I've been engaging in a little of this sort of Sauce Alchemy by mixing sauces I like that are really hot with sauces I like that are not so hot. For example: Stribwings NOT COOL Jolokia with Sambal Oelek. Defcon Zero with Sriracha Rooster Sauce. And now Mongoose + Thai Monkey.

All of these mixes have been very successful at providing amplified heat on top of great flavor which is my goal.

Anyone else have any good sauce mixes?

Also in my latest shipment were Scorch and Fatalii Fire, as I'm now embarking on my first forays into fatalii land. So far: big fan.

P.S. Pass on the Black Mamba. Doesn't taste very good, and isn't worth the money. Go Mongoose instead, you won't be disappointed.

Back