More Fruits per plant for Super Hots?

Well, my results:

I only have my results the others did not get much or I just can't get a hold of them, or they forgot which ones were Scorps!

I would have done actuall stats but it seemed pointless as the results were so low it would be hard to get data!

I got nothing on the ones in full sun. Not even flowers.

I got some pods on the shaded ones.  However, some of the plants were also barren.  But these showed some flowering.

I got none on ones in the community garden - did not even grow much. These were in raised beds.

I used GA3 (one spraying near flowering in late July) on half and this did nothing that I could measure.

But this was a bad year for peppers.  July was extremely hot at times, which they don't seem to like much - though the shaded ones seemed to carry on then. But starting in August we had more rain, and cool weather (which may have been more important), than I can ever remember.  I know it was a record breaker for rain.  We hardly get any rain in August usually - this is a semi arid region.  But like I said I think is was the cool weather - 70's for highs, but that is only for a few hour every day, then lows in the 50s or high 40s.  Not a peppers happiest weather. Very pleasant for people though. September and October were better, with no frost till quite late, but by then the plants were not in the stage necessary for carrying on through the Fall.

But a couple plants produced 10-15 pods each while other only 1 or two.  I'm saving the seeds from these any growing these out.  Maybe I'll select for earliness....

BTW - none of the peppers did that well.  Last year my bells were ripening to yellow and red in early August.  I picked a bunch and had another flush for Fall.  This year, only one flush, and mostly they did not ripen till the very end (October), and even then only about half of them ripened.  Eggplants were similar.  Okra grew only 1/5 the size of last year!  Basically it was a failure. Tomatoes did better then last year though.

So last season, none.  None of my Scorpions survived.  I think I'm giving up on them.  Might try a couple this year.  I am probably though trying a different variety...

Just a thought, but could it be a lack of pollinating insects? Or that the ones in your area are not attracted to your super hot plants? I know peppers are self-pollinating, but they might still need a little help.

There was a guy in my office who had a pepper plant in his window that was just dropping flowers and setting no fruit. When I told him they needed hand pollinating because of the lack of insects in our office (thank God) we just started poking the flowers, and it wasn't very long before he had a plant full of fruit. Maybe something to try this year. Good luck!

Since this was bumped and I've now had a season of successfully growing super hots between that time, I can say with confidence that in my situation the missing element was indeed shade cloth. My weather was just too damn hot. Something to explore if your peppers struggle to fruit.

Back