More plant problems

Hello everyone.  You've been so helpful with my previous problems that I figured I should ask about others I've been having.  The first is a yellowing of lower leaves and deformed new growth of one of my peppers.  The picture is below.  I don't think I've been overwatering, and I've tried some 10-10-10 fertilizer with no success so far.

Sorry for gyazo links, imgur didn't want to work for me.

http://gyazo.com/894e3e5bdbbd7bb025edcf3890ea4686

The second problem is a yellowing of the leaves, mostly the upper ones, from the center outward.  I know I haven't been overwatering this one, and I've tried fertilizing with the same 10-10-10 fertilizer too.  A couple of my plants are starting to show this problem

http://gyazo.com/9e0596a517a5dbde8bf0d34af527de33

Thanks for the help

They're inside so I assumed it wasn't bugs, but I haven't noticed anything unless they're in the soil.  I've seen that diagram but couldn't tell if there was something specific about yellowing coming from the inside out.  Thanks for the links though.

Those plants look pretty health overall...I would have assumed over-watering by looking at them. Since you don't believe it to be that...what type of soil are they in? I have had plants that looked that way due to soil problems/nute lockout. Over fertilizing could be the issue as well. Depending on your soil, they may not need much in the way of nutes for a little while...and at most a very diluted solution when you feed. Check to make sure your soil mix isn't drying out on top, but staying too wet underneath...just curious there. Good luck!

Honestly I could be overwatering, but I can't remember how many times I've watered since transplanting a few weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure they're both in MG Moisture Control soil, but the bag I got seemed old and dried out, and when I transplanted them the soil tried all it could to repel the water.  It was a real pain and it could have something to do with these problems.  I then got some new soil that worked much better for my other plants.  I could wash off the old soil and replant in the new I suppose.

10-10-10 seems pretty hot for solo cups. How are you diluting and how ofter are you feeding? Any idea what your soils pH is?

The plants for the most part look really good, anything been changed prior to the yellowing?
I reread your opening post, you state you dont think you are over watering, does that mean you are unsure?

CAPCOM said:
10-10-10 seems pretty hot for solo cups. How are you diluting and how ofter are you feeding? Any idea what your soils pH is?

The plants for the most part look really good, anything been changed prior to the yellowing?
I reread your opening post, you state you dont think you are over watering, does that mean you are unsure?

I've been doing about 2 TBSP per 40 oz, which now that I calculate it is way over the normal dose of 4 TBSP per 2 gallons.......I have fed each plant only once I think, but the other plants I've fed haven't been showing these problems.  I won't feed them again though, at least not for a while.

I haven't tested the pH, and the first plant has been yellow for pretty much its whole life, and I didn't think anything of it til the new growth started looking off.  The second plant started turning yellow just recently but I can't remember if I had fertilized it or not.  Thanks for the reply

And as far as over watering, I've only been watering when the plant starts to wilt

If you planted them in MG...you don't need to feed them at all for a while. I would also only be bottom watering, MG wicks up moisture pretty well, and that will prevent the water from just running through in a few spots leaving the rest of the soil dry. Make sure your air circulation is good...quit feeding...bottom water when they start to wilt...they should start to look better soon.

stc3248 said:
If you planted them in MG...you don't need to feed them at all for a while. I would also only be bottom watering, MG wicks up moisture pretty well, and that will prevent the water from just running through in a few spots leaving the rest of the soil dry. Make sure your air circulation is good...quit feeding...bottom water when they start to wilt...they should start to look better soon.

Thank you, I'll try bottom watering and see how it goes.

nzchili said:
could be sulphur/iron
I thought it might be iron from some things I've read, but they noted that the veins stay green which I hadn't seen, but now it appears that might be happening. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks

Suezotiger said:
They're inside so I assumed it wasn't bugs, but I haven't noticed anything unless they're in the soil.  I've seen that diagram but couldn't tell if there was something specific about yellowing coming from the inside out.  Thanks for the links though.
Don't make the mistake of assuming that because they are indoors that there is no threat of bugs.

Mine didn't catch mites until they got inside. As well of the fact a lot of people don't start to show signs of aphids until they bring them inside.

sirex said:
Don't make the mistake of assuming that because they are indoors that there is no threat of bugs.

Mine didn't catch mites until they got inside. As well of the fact a lot of people don't start to show signs of aphids until they bring them inside.

Its not that you didn't have mites or aphids outside, it is just the fact that you had natural predators outside to keep them from showing any signs.  You just forgot to bring them with you when you moved indoors.

stc3248 said:

^this is good advice even though it comes from the left coast^

Suezotiger said:
Honestly I could be overwatering, but I can't remember how many times I've watered since transplanting a few weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure they're both in MG Moisture Control soil, but the bag I got seemed old and dried out, and when I transplanted them the soil tried all it could to repel the water.  It was a real pain and it could have something to do with these problems.  I then got some new soil that worked much better for my other plants.  I could wash off the old soil and replant in the new I suppose.
That MiracleGro moisture control soil is VERY hydrophobic.  I used it and have had nothing but FAILURES with it.  It says it protects from over and underwatering, but It seems to repel water at first, then the next day is is BONE DRY.  Everything I have tried to grow in it dies.  Just my experience.

sirex said:

I'll have to read that pest guide and keep a look out, nothing conclusive so far but thanks
WhatYouKnowAbhutThat said:
That MiracleGro moisture control soil is VERY hydrophobic.  I used it and have had nothing but FAILURES with it.  It says it protects from over and underwatering, but It seems to repel water at first, then the next day is is BONE DRY.  Everything I have tried to grow in it dies.  Just my experience.
It was alright last summer but it was a big container not solo cup which might have helped. I'm thinking this was leftover from last year too, cause I got a small bag that was nice and soft of the exact same soil.

M.G. AND I don't bode well ! i can't stand it , to many critters , and i like to start and follow through with my own fert. regiment !     :onfire:

moruga welder said:
M.G. AND I don't bode well ! i can't stand it , to many critters , and i like to start and follow through with my own fert. regiment !     :onfire:
The replacement soil I got was some Scott's potting soil that seems to be working well...Maybe one day I'll mix my own

I grow almost exclusively in MGMC...the problem isn't the soil, its how you use it. Many folks have great luck with Happy Frog, or Promix or Fox Farms...or whatever, the most important thing is to know how to use it. Some soils require feeding schedules and specific nutes, all have differing water requirements, and each with do better or worse with different environments. Here is one shelf of starts in MGMC...
IMG_1433_zps31c50242.jpg

Mind your water schedule and quit feeding for a bit. BTW...Scotts and MG are both made by the same company. Best of luck.

Back