• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

More questions from a new guy.....(Picture update Week 9)

Maybe I'm being impatient but once they start to have tons of flower how long should it be before I see my first poddage?

Flowers usually turn into pods in a few days. Look for the petals dying but the calyx/stem still green. If that happens, you've got a pod coming. Sometime the stem/calyx/petals all die and that means the flower failed to produce which is fine. You'll start seeing pods very soon just make sure to either hand pollinate or to have a fan on those plants to spread the pollen around. I do both just to make sure. Hand pollination is the best way to ensure pollination short of using bees but it's also tedious.

Thanks for the info. 
I had to prune my plants a just a little tonight as they no longer fit into the ligh space I had. No so much the space itself but the lite area. 
I need to buy more lamps but I just don't have the cash this pay check. I hope that I didn't hurt them. I didn't really trim off any flows. Just some large leaves.
I'm a little scared but from what I have seen so fare these little guys are pretty tough.

I see two kinds of flowers/pods forming on my plants. Some which don't open up(they are usually tiny) and some which do open up but have no pollen, which look far too small and under developed. I pinch these immediately. My plant outside had about 10 flowers on it, all hand pollinated. The next day saw 40c weather. The day after the plant dropped all these flowers, then after that we had 3 days of 20c raining weather. Today is nice and sunny around 25c and 5 or 6 flowers have opened up. One had no pollen so I pinched it and the others were hand pollinated. Don't use Q tips, they tend to grab pollen extremely well but will hold pollen to them even better. Use your finger and just gently finger the flowers. lol.

JayC said:
ok, some pictures to update...guess I should have done some kind of log. We are at 9 weeks. Here is my runt first...
5dded059-228f-4df0-a76f-b9c202c379d0_zps3e42aa57.jpg

cbec1b47-f2ec-4b87-86c5-6b14f4103d4c_zps65ce01a7.jpg

da6cd2dd-6175-4d53-ab0c-fbfa17704182_zps7665cd39.jpg

105ac5f1-11a8-4fef-8d00-fe8156b0eb06_zps662e33ef.jpg

f9f8a558-ede8-4754-8e9f-7ef63acc9049_zps8652880c.jpg
What kind of lettuce is that? :D

-Walter

Back