• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

more questions

In my box I have 2 jumbo jalepeno plants, another species of chili pepper (can't remember), one tiny ghost pepper plant, and 3 habanero plants. The two jalepenos, one chili, the ghost, and one of the habanero plants were all bought at the same time. All except the ghost were normal size healthy looking plants and they are the ones in the pics that look so good and are bearing fruit already. The ghost was a tiny premie lol. It is still looking good and healthy but I am surprised after a month that it hasn't grown more than it has. It is healthy looking but still tiny. Do ghosts grow really slow?

Then after my issue with my transplanted 2018 ghost and habanero plants dying from frost, I uprooted them and bought 2 more habanero plants from walmart. All the habs at walmart that day looked kinda yellowish. They seem to be doing ok but they also are not growing fast and are still yellow and one has the leaves just a bit curled although not brittle to the touch. My other habanero that was bought the first time around is bigger and green and already getting pods or flowers. What could be going on with the other 2 habs? Should I just relax and let them flourish or is there something that needs attention before it's too late?

EDIT....I am trying to post pics but the upload tool keeps getting error even though the file size is small.. I'll keep trying

I can't seem to upload pics sorry.

this is my first year growing ghost and habanero and mine are also smaller than the rest of my plants so i expect it is typical for the type of plant. if they look healthy then just let them grow at their own speed. this plant is about 8 inches tall but loaded with foliage. i`m guessing this is normal. anyone else care to chime in.? :cheers:

edit to add pic.

20190608_175926_resized.jpg

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
this is my first year growing ghost and habanero and mine are also smaller than the rest of my plants so i expect it is typical for the type of plant. if they look healthy then just let them grow at their own speed. this plant is about 8 inches tall but loaded with foliage. i`m guessing this is normal. anyone else care to chime in.? :cheers:

edit to add pic.

20190608_175926_resized.jpg
That looks the size of my first hab that I planted now. My other two are a little smaller. I bought some fertilizer from the store and sprinkled a tiny amount around the base of my plants and watered. I was careful not to put very much.

let them do their thing and try not to overwater or over fertilize. are they in containers or in the ground? if they are in containers you can pick them up and judge how wet or dry they are by the weight. 

DontPanic said:
Many Jalapeño's varieties are tuned to support a shorter growing season.  It's pretty normal for a Jalapeño to get the jump on Habaneros.
Makes sense. Lots more varieties of jalapeños. I have only ever seen one variety of habs and ghost.

Back