Morning check before heading to work, found this

So today I woke up like any other day. Make lunch, make breakfast and straight to checking out the plants before heading to work. I found 5-10 flowers on the ground brownish deadish looking color but a lot of flowers still standing and plenty of pods. Plant looks good, no lil pests To be found no yellow leaves I have no clue ? Is this normal ? Am I doing something wrong.? Will take pics when I get back home.

flowers drop a LOT. Annoying but sadly...common.
Usually most plants do manage in the end though.
Something I find causes a lot of flowers and tiny pods to drop is when the plant hits its "fruit load" limit, i.e. it has a sort of set amount it can grow dependent on its size (and other things), once it hits that, it ditches the other pods and flowers for a while. 
This is why many people pinch buds off and force as much growth as poss before flowering happens. 

It all makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. Just a newbie making sure nothing's wrong with my babies ! Haha

ColdSmoke said:
I thought un-pollinated flowers simply means the pods won't have seeds. Not that they die and fall off. 

No, that is not the norm.  Now I'm not going to say that never happens.  I've not personally experienced it before with pepper plants.  But I have had the occasion with zucchini.  Usually an unpollinated female flower on a zucchini plant will shrivel up and fall off.  But I have had some instances where the zucchini grew anyway but stayed long and slender with zero seeds inside.  So for that very reason, I wouldn't put it out the realm of possibility for peppers as well.  But generally, if a flower is unpollinated, it will eventually be dropped by the plant.

Interesting.

I have a buddy who grew a huge reaper plant where 90% of his pods were seedless. What can explain that? They were definitely nice, ripe pods too. 

ColdSmoke said:
Interesting.

I have a buddy who grew a huge reaper plant where 90% of his pods were seedless. What can explain that? They were definitely nice, ripe pods too. 

Immature pods have no seeds, also...ummm....some cross pollenations....don't produce...seeds? I'm guessing lol
Certainly wouldnt worry about lack of seeds!! Maybe you can sell them for $$$ like seedless grapes or something! 

There is a difference between "flower drop" and pollination. When flower drop occurs, the entire flower drops off - petals, stigma, stamen, etc. When pollination occurs, however, only the petals come off. Sometimes they stick, but that is not something to worry about.

compmodder26 said:

Pretty sure that was what mill was getting at.  Most likely, just a typo.

geeme said:
There is a difference between "flower drop" and pollination. When flower drop occurs, the entire flower drops off - petals, stigma, stamen, etc. When pollination occurs, however, only the petals come off. Sometimes they stick, but that is not something to worry about.
Thank you guys.

moosery said:

Immature pods have no seeds, also...ummm....some cross pollenations....don't produce...seeds? I'm guessing lol
Certainly wouldnt worry about lack of seeds!! Maybe you can sell them for $$$ like seedless grapes or something! 
Maybe it could also be done by spraying GA3? that's how they do it to make seedless grapes and watermelons I think.

Back