• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moruga and Brain strain

first time growing these two peppers and for the life of me I can't figure out what is what, I didn't label my peppers but i'm about 70% pretty sure where both lots of these plants ended up and they look identical.

Morouga and brain strain are very different pods/plants......Trinidad scorpion morouga blend on the other hand is similar to brain strain in pod looks ...

Ahhuh yea its the trinidad scorpion moruga that explains why I've got 7 or 8 plants all with very simular pods :) cheers Trippa

Ok... so WTH is it that I bought from J.Duffy last year?
A Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend...
A Trinidad Moruga Scorpion...
A Moruga....
???
Seriously. On the website they're listed as a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. Described within a section pertaining to Trinidad Scorpion Peppers....
If someone is selling the "TSMBlend" are they always labelled as such? (Excepting, of course, shams, cons, thieves etc selling fraudulent plants online etc...)
Don't hit me with "ask Jim Duffy"... Since he doesn't describe or advert one called a blend I'll assume the plants I have aren't the blend...

cmpman1974 has been growing these back as far as 2008. He had them labeled Trinidad Scorpion 'Morouga Blend'. I think we can all agree he is a very humble guy,and respected in the chile community...not just here at THP. He may be one of the first people to grow them out. Also, depending on where you live, you may say favOUrite colOUr. You may also say morUga,or morOUga.

Ok... so WTH is it that I bought from J.Duffy last year?
A Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend...
A Trinidad Moruga Scorpion...
A Moruga....
???
Seriously. On the website they're listed as a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. Described within a section pertaining to Trinidad Scorpion Peppers....
If someone is selling the "TSMBlend" are they always labelled as such? (Excepting, of course, shams, cons, thieves etc selling fraudulent plants online etc...)
Don't hit me with "ask Jim Duffy"... Since he doesn't describe or advert one called a blend I'll assume the plants I have aren't the blend...

I dug up a reply to a similar question by Jim Duffy where he explained how the naming variation came about.

The other Moruga that Trippa refers to a couple of non-Scorpion varieties. There is a Moruga Red and a Moruga Yellow that I do not see on Jim Duffy's shop.

cmpman1974 has been growing these back as far as 2008. He had them labeled Trinidad Scorpion 'Morouga Blend'. I think we can all agree he is a very humble guy,and respected in the chile community...not just here at THP. He may be one of the first people to grow them out. Also, depending on where you live, you may say favOUrite colOUr. You may also say morUga,or morOUga.

Potawie explained the variance in spelling a while back:
What new one?
Neil likes to add the u but he actually knows its not correct. He says its the Aussie spelling like colour vs. color
Moruga scorpion, or Morouga scorpion, they are the same pepper named after the Moruga region of Trinidad where they grow. People just realised they were spelling it wrong and changed, there is no new pepper
Moruga red and yellow are totally different peppers

Dropping the o and keeping the u out of ou isn't something I have seen elsewhere.

Yup... theres a trinidad scorpion morouga blend and a trinidad morouga (yellow and red).

The TSMB is a super hot. The trinidad morouga is not.

Thanks to all for the info/links, etc.
I had always assumed what i had ordered and received was Trinidad Scorpion Moruga . That is til I read a few recent posts/threads refarding the TSM Blend... smh.
My TS Moruga plants and pods look like pics of any I've seen here or on the web so I suppose I'll keep thinking so lol.
I'll have to look over the info you all provided.
Thanks again..

Yup... theres a trinidad scorpion morouga blend and a trinidad morouga (yellow and red).

The TSMB is a super hot. The trinidad morouga is not.
Hmmmm... Thinking here.
The link (re: JD submitting the pods that beat out the Butch T) doesn't actually state his pods were a blend (that or I missed it in there).
Also, as far as I recall, the pepper sold on his site is listed/described as a TSMoruga. Not TSMBlend. Or did I miss that as well.
Honestly, I'm not trying to be arguementative, etc... Just trying to figure this out. The Morugas I bought from RFC seem to be consistantly hotter than my Butch T's (at least to mine & the dozens of folks we've introduced them to). If they are sold as a straight moruga I don't get how they aren't a "superhot"...
Smh.... maybe 3 or so drinks has me befuddled & bemused lol ;-)

TSMB is the same as Morouga Scorpion or Trinidad Scorpion morouga or whatever Mr Duffy renamed it for his sales.
Marouga or Morouga is the different var. So only 2 different Chilli's with 5 or more different names confused??

I'm no expert by any means. Check pepperlover.com they sell both types and have good descriptions there. :)

Daaag... disregard. I see where I missed all the info on Duffy's Moruga vs the TSMBlend.... knucklehead moment with slow loading 3g service at a Cub Scout Christmas Party! Smh

Lol. Now i know i need another drink!

look here !
if you go below the article , and start reading the thread, Duffy explains why he changed the name.
But the correct name is Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend.... The Way Chris has always called this variety. http://thepepperseed.com/peppers/trinidad-scorpion-moruga-the-worlds-hottest-chilli-pepper/

Thanks Tex16. I'd already found it (see my post just before yours). For some reason that part hadn't loaded when I clicked the link.. oh well. I'm all straightened out now thanks

Hah. No. Not at the meeting but prior to. Then looking towards later, afterwards @ home with my wife..
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing there may be a rule or two against drinking at a meeting in the school cafeteria.... maybe... ;-)

Back