• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mosquito Dunks

I picked up a couple of these to help get rid of the fungus gnat larvae I still have that's noshing on my seeds/seedlings. I'm trying to figure out a good mixing ratio. I'm thinking about an eighth of a piece for a gallon of water. Sound OK?

I used a whole dunk in a gallon last year. They dont fully dissolve so you can just keep refilling your gallon and reusing the dunk that is in there. Last year I found that if you try to break it up into smaller pieces then all the little tiny pieces fall apart in the water and you end up putting them onto your soil. I say just use the whole thing and keep your gallon full.

^^^^ what he said, i tried breaking it up and when i used that water in a watering can the little pieces got stuck in the holes! but did not have that problem with using the whole dunk, it will slowly break down!

All kidding aside, a dunk is a doughnut shaped item filled with special bacteria that think insect larvae are filet mignon from the Waldorf Astoria. They utterly ignore plants and will remain in the soil as long as there's something for them to eat. As far as I know once they take care of business, they go dormant until they're needed once again.

Thanks guys. I did the eighth piece in the gallon of water and am now experiencing the same results Millman and Spongey did. Amazing how I couldn't wait 15 minutes to follow the advice of people who have the experience I was looking for. Impatient idiot.

Hey Patrick. I crushed about an eighth of a dunk in a gallon of water last week and watered my seedlings and a few overwinters that had tons of fungus gnats everywhere. I checked today and it seems about 99% of them are gone. Also had some sticky tape for the fliers. Very happy with the results so far, should have done it sooner. :halo:

These dunks interest me. Would it also make sense to throw one under a shed where it stays damp and under a porch so when it rains the bugs won't grow? I just saw these at WM for $2.71 for a six pack

Pretty sure it got rid of my problem. Don't know about tossing one in the old under porch pool though. Got any kids or critters that like to swim in it?

Nope...no critters. I bet what I could do is mix up a gallon or so and pour it under the shed after a rain. Probably safer that way. Same thing under the raised porch.

A mosquito dunk worked to kill all my fungus gnats. Now the aphid war is getting out of hand. Neem just doesn't do the job well enough. Time to order lady bugs.

so i got a question ...i split the dunk in half so it would fit in my gallon water jug yesterday ...is the dunk suppose to melt or something? because its still in 2 pieces ..and still looks like the same size

the dunks VERY slow;y break down. just let it sit in there for a couple days, then water you plants with the water. refil the jug and let that sit for a day or 2 and water,

Back