• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield Most prolific pepper?

Wondering what varieties have done the best for you. For me Tabasco and cayenne are definitely amongst the top. However, the Brazilian starfish pepper has been my powerhouse. My top producing variety for three years now. The plants are always over 6-ft tall by the end of the season. Once pods start to ripen there are so many it's hard to keep up with any more than four plants. What varieties consistently produce for you?

Coyote zahn white; hundreds of pods comimg non-stop right from the start! 

peppersproutfarm said:
Wondering what varieties have done the best for you. For me Tabasco and cayenne are definitely amongst the top. However, the Brazilian starfish pepper has been my powerhouse. My top producing variety for three years now. The plants are always over 6-ft tall by the end of the season. Once pods start to ripen there are so many it's hard to keep up with any more than four plants. What varieties consistently produce for you?
I've had the exact same experience with the Brazilian starfish. It's by far my tallest plant and although I haven't harvested anything yet, there are at least 30 pods waiting to ripen.

Apart from that, my aji lemon drop and sugar rush peach have been producing a buuunch

FarWestPep said:
I haven't harvested anything yet, there are at least 30 pods waiting to ripen
We have two starfish plants that are producing almost three times by weight more than our six habanero plants. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many individual pods have come off each plant. We are somewhere around 4 lb so far this season and still have another 6 weeks of growing season left

This question is going to be answered differently, depending on where you grow.  Conditions have profound effects on pepper production. 
Mine have been always been red or yellow fataliis and red dominican habaneros.  But it's a game of margins, because here in my climate, just about any kind of 7 pot kicks ass.  To the point that I've cut WAY back on grows.  I like growing better than I like eating hot peppers.

Back