• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

"Most" Raw Chinenses: Yuck! A Correction...

I love the taste of most C.Chinense, especially the chocolate and white types. The chocolates have a primal, passionfruit-hinted flavor that some describe as "earthy". The white Chinenses to me have a very bright, fruity, fresh flavor that goes well in fruit-based salsas/sauces.

I think it's a bit strong sometimes, but my gut churns more at the thought of the heat than the taste. I like the flavor in general, but I think I will like other peppers more. (More suspicion than reason)

Datil said:
+1000

There is so much more beyond superhots!
Chinense flavor is a classic discussion down here because all the italian heirlooms are annuums and many people is used to that flavor profile.
I'm not a fan of the generic chinense flavor and i'm trying to find a good cross that retains only the brutal heat of chinenses with a different flavor profile.
Also mixing varieties work nice for me in balancing some powders for both heat and taste.

Cya

Datil
That is very true, I had never came a cross any Italian pepper that I didnt love to eat and grow.
even the hottest varieties are not bitter and always have some hint of sweetness  
Roguejim said:
I hope you're right about the Trinidad Perfume. I have one podding up. How would you use it, raw?
On sandwiches and salads Very very good. 

Bhut flavor and certain chocolate supers, I don't mind raw. Of course they hurt like hell, so I almost always powder them.

For my taste buds, I can't stand the flavor of most habs and 7 pots. If  taste that yucky Chinense flavor, I won't grow them again.

A list of Chinense, without that flavor, Here is my list, build in it. Some of these are floral, but none have that chinense flavor....

Paper Lantern Habs,
Caribbean red habs have it only mildly. Same with white habs.
Red Bhut,
Jigsaw
Reaper

Roguejim said:
Which Superhot do you like on a steak? How long before you can't taste the steak? That would be a shame!
Do you have to eat a whole pepper everytime you eat would be a better question

:high:
Kevin

I am kind of in the same boat in the sense that I like the heat and sometimes even the flavor of chinense on its own but to me, using raw supers with food overwhelms the flavor of the food with floral, fruity, or bitter tones.

I eat powder, however, with at least a meal a day.  I find cooked chinense less offensive than raw for sure.  But if I had to eat raw my two peppers of choice would be choc hab or White 7 pot 

Roguejim said:
I know that some manly men, like Nigel, like plucking them from their plants and eating them on the spot. But, I have to think that that is a rarity.

I do not think that is a rarity at all. If you are not going to try them fresh what is the point of growing them. Nothing better than a fresh fatalii or yellow 7 while walkign around checking plants.

some are putrid, aka butch-t taste like gasoline

One summer it was so friggin hot I didn't BBQ once. Then the following spring I fired up the charcoal grill with the lighter fluid that was now at least a year old and certainly condensed. Ruined the BBQ. That was the last time I used starter fluid, but unfortunately that gaseous flavor sometimes comes back to haunt me when tasting some SHs. :sick:

I must add the Trinidad Perfume to the very short list of chinenses that I actually think are tasty straight off the plant. Just had my first one minutes ago. (Thanks, Judy) I also sampled a yellow 7-Pot...not happening for me. Sauce bound, for sure.

I just had an unknown peach fatalli cross from wes (Joemomma), and i thought it tasted great. It had a very mellow flavor, a bit floral, but in a good way. I don't know how this compares to a true peach fatalli but it might be my new favorite.

Since I had Chemo my taste buds are pretty much gone, so I'm easily overpowered by the intense heat and flavor of many C, chinense, although I still grow a lot that really hit you with way too much floral, fruity and bitterness that is overwhelming. 
I do grow trinidad perfume and like it may ways, it has a burst of flavor that is nice, although I'm glad its a small pepper and not so big that the flavor controls what other flavors are in your food. I sometimes stuff them raw with some cream cheese as a side snack.
 I like a lot of the Aji's as their flavor isn't too over powering along with a good many wild peppers where the ripe flavors are dry and sharp without taking over with a bite that doesn't go on forever.

Back