• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Moving from Hydro to Soil

I have done this a few times and usually it turned out ok. I'm sure this can be a stressful process for the plants. I was wondering if any more experienced people have any tips to make the process smoother. In my experience the plants wilt pretty bad but then usually perk back up. I'm doing this because I want to take my three plants out of hydro and put some smaller seedings in to get them bigger fast. Any advice and/or thoughts would be lovely  :surprised:

i would suggest using  mycorrhizae once you have the soil ready,  sprinkle a liberal amount into the hole and place the roots in the hole cover, and water down with a  mycorrhizae and molasses(1tblsp) to water the plant in,  i have found in my experiments that by adding the  mycorrhizae to the hole during transplant esp with very small seedlings there is no shock at all and i have even left in direct sunlight.​

Impending gave me a dozen small hydro plants a few weeks ago.  Water uptake is the biggest limitation they face.  Keep the soil plenty moist and avoid dry breezes and high temperatures.  After slowly introducing them to the Great Outdoors, the plants have finally got to the point that they can stand a full day outside in the open shade without wilting.  Given the dry, warm Aridzona air, that's no small accomplishment.

I'm now introducing them to well filtered sunlight for an hour or so a day.  A few plants protested with mild wilting, and I have to be vigilant to avoid over stressing them, but progress is being made.  At the same time, all the light (compared to a hydro setup) has the plants growing nicely!

Near as I can tell, the plan is, 'Go slow and give the roots time to develop."

A few things that can help reduce stress:

vitamin B
seaweed extract
superthrive*
rapid start

*not proven

i would suggest using  mycorrhizae once you have the soil ready,  sprinkle a liberal amount into the hole and place the roots in the hole cover, and water down with a 
 mycorrhizae and molasses(1tblsp) to water the plant in,  i have found in my experiments that by adding the  mycorrhizae to the hole during transplant esp with very small seedlings there is no shock at all and i have even left in direct sunlight.

This is exactly what I do. Make sure you rinse off the roots too.

-Walt​

Back