• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

mp3 ripper

I've been given a mp3 player. Not a real fancy one, and it didn't come with any software. I guess I need some sort of software that will convert cd music to mp3 music. I'm not too interested in downloading mp3s...I am on dial-up, and it would gripe me to pay for songs I already have on cd.

So, understanding that I have no clue what I'm doing, can someone suggest some freeware or reasonably priced shareware? I don't need anything too elaborate, just something that will let me convert some songs.

Oh, it's an RCA Lyra with a 512 mb card.

are you running XP or another microsoft program ? because you can use windows media player to load songs onto your MP3 & all your CD's you have, all you have to do is put the CD in your computer while online & the CD info will pop up (band/song names) so no need to type it in unless its a burned CD but then sometimes the info also shows up or you just click search & choose the album it is & worse case you'll have to type all of it in. no need to buy the music again your computer converts your music into MP3/WMA files for a music player

it helps to have the CD the MP3 came with, but you can download updates or media player might work off it as is, but my understanding having the CD it came with is a big plus so your computer reconginizes the MP3 player.

gardenkiller said:
winamp is also a freeware program that will easily rip the wav files off of a cd and convert them to mp3 effortlessly.

Really? I already use WinAmp for playing music on the computer.

Thanks!

LAME is a VBR endoder.

No problem Pam.

gardenkiller said:
winamp is also a freeware program that will easily rip the wav files off of a cd and convert them to mp3 effortlessly.

I use WinAmp myself to convert my CD's.

How about this one for the THP crowd...does anyone know how to convert AAC format to MP3? I have my whole music collection in AAC format for my iPods, and I don't want to have to grab my CD's and constantly put them in my computer and take them out.

dreamtheatervt said:
...does anyone know how to convert AAC format to MP3?

The best way would be to convert from AAC to WAV and then to MP3
Directly encoding AAC to MP3 would lose too much quality.

dreamtheatervt said:
I use WinAmp myself to convert my CD's.

How about this one for the THP crowd...does anyone know how to convert AAC format to MP3? I have my whole music collection in AAC format for my iPods, and I don't want to have to grab my CD's and constantly put them in my computer and take them out.

Go into iTunes Preferences, and change the importing mode back to the MP3 mode you like

Now select the tracks that you want to change back, and go to the Advanced menu. There is an item called “convert selection to MP3″.

This menu item lists whatever the current setting is in the importing prefs.

you can also do this with winamp pro.
just add the files to your playlist
right click
select “send to:”
select “format converter”

and thats it

Thanks LuckyDog. I'll try that. If it loses too much quality like gardenkiller mentioned, I guess I'll have to get off my lazy butt and do it the right way.

Back