• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mulch bins

I used to breed reptiles I have a few cages left, One is full of orchids so I can't touch it but other well....
IMG_0114.jpg
Copy1ofIMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
One is for leaves and other yard waste the other is organic food waste and rabbit %$#@ needless to say it was a long training time to get the kids to not just throw things down the disposal or in the regular trash. I'm thinking the one with the tomatos needs more peat moss in the mix the soil compacts way to fast, any suggestions are welcomed.
Copy1ofIMG_0112-1.jpg

The biggest asset to my compost pile has been coffee grounds. Starbucks has a policy of giving away it's used coffee grounds to gardeners. Walk into your local Starbucks and ask, "can I have some used coffee grounds for my garden?" Some times you'll get a huge trashbag full of grounds. Add a 50/50 mix of coffee grounds and shredded newspaper to your kitchen scraps, and you will easily get your pile to 140 degrees.

Reptiles. Did you keep/breed Corucia? That's what I'd guess with a screen name of prehensile.
I've kept reptiles for most of my life. Right now I have green tree pythons, frilled dragons and crested geckoes.

My compost bins settle just as your tomato bin is doing. it's important to keep the bin aerated by mixing it up a little. Not necessarily turning over, but loosening it up. There are tools for that, but I just stick my spading fork into it, and
then twist it around until the pile has lofted up several inches and then I let it work some more. I don't plant
right into the bins anymore, but when I had a more informal compost pile, it grew some outrageous squash plants
in it - they love the compost!

The biggest asset to my compost pile has been coffee grounds. Starbucks has a policy of giving away it's used coffee grounds to gardeners. Walk into your local Starbucks and ask, "can I have some used coffee grounds for my garden?" Some times you'll get a huge trashbag full of grounds. Add a 50/50 mix of coffee grounds and shredded newspaper to your kitchen scraps, and you will easily get your pile to 140 degrees.

This sounds like a great idea - I had forgotten that S. gives the grounds away. I have seen them in five pound bags. I'm stopping by tomorrow! We do throw our daily grounds into the bins, but more can't hurt - worm gourmands prefer grounds!

Reptiles. Did you keep/breed Corucia? That's what I'd guess with a screen name of prehensile.
I've kept reptiles for most of my life. Right now I have green tree pythons, frilled dragons and crested geckoes.
I had Veiled Chameleons, some Bearded Dragons, some snakes just Fl natives like Red and yellow Rats, FL Kings, I hunted them out in the Farm Country around the lake.

Hell I don't need starbucks I drink like 10 cups a day and my kids just started. I have 3 full cans in the freezer(that you just reminded me to get out for the bin) TYVM!

I learned the wonders of saving coffee grounds (and sometimes getting some from Starbucks) last year. Some go into the worm bin (and filters) and the rest go to the compost pile and gardens. I also save eggshells, grind them to a fine powder, and add that to the soil pile.

Egg shells, coffe grounds, everything is great. Add some shreaded cardboard or newspaper it will give them room to move and it will dissapear quickly...

Back