Mushroom Compost as grow medium

So i got 2 loads of mushroom compost from the local mushroom factory, 5 bucks a load.
 Filled a little uhaul trailor up ,unloaded it and got a second pile.    i had garden soil and potting soil and some peat moss mixture layed down in one bed and then covered the top with the compost  then on 3 other beds and alot of potted plants i transplanted today went in all the mushroom compost   they say it grows pepper great. they had a huge square of cayenne growing in 100% compost looked good to me. 

growing Habaneros scotch bonnets and Ghosts  just big enough to transplant to the ground  so far everything looks to be working out 
Hoping this isnt gunna shock them or raise the soil levels up to much

Before we moved to NC we lived in Chester County, PA.  At that time that area was 'the mushroom capital" of the US.
There were mushroom houses within i/2 mile of our house.  Depleted mushroom soil was plentiful and cheap.
I always had a couple truckloads 'curing' in my back yard.  In the spring and fall I would spread it on my vegetable garden
then turn it under.  We also used it to side dress our shrubs.  You still need ferts because the mushrooms depleted a lot of the nutrients.
That's why they change it!   http://www.mushroomcompost.org/faqs.htm

my chocolate bhuts did amazing in a container full of mushroom compost, haven't needed to fertilize them yet either.

it does compact but if you add something to lighten it up it should be perfect

mushroom compost is great I have mixed about 50%  mushroom compost and soil with a few other things added,  I stared to go to the stock yard this year and get my organic media, "cow poo" and will be adding some clay soil to my soil mix to hold water a bit better I hope.   I re-use my soil every year from my pots and I hardly have used any nuts this year! 

it was pretty light and has some straw in it  but besides the big chunks dried together  it seems that it will be pretty fluffy,almost to much

downsized_0727031342_zpsde9d231f.jpg

seems pretty good once its settled down have 5 separate beds around the house and various potted in the back yard so far so good ,planted a few more today after the rain 

Back