• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Mushrooms

Is anyone growing mushrooms that can give some advice? Been wanting to do this for a couple of years and have only done a minimum amount of research.

Some insight on mushroom beds vs bags and logs and maybe what not to grow. Thanks.

In the process now..

Best to buy a ready made kit----like $29 on amazon.

Comes ready to go, and not much needed except to open the bag and spray a few times a day.

After it is mostly done, use the leftover mycellium to innoculate your own media.

Got 2 bags of innoculated sterilized coffe grounds "growing" in the closet in the dark and warm, and a jar of the same for future batches.
Oyster Mushrooms are very forgiving, and really easy.
And damned good.

Being clean is imperative.
All sorts of nasty things like to grow in the warm, damp, and dark places.

Outside works too, if you live where it is warm and can keep the media damp and shaded.
But be sure you know how to ID your 'shrooms.
Othes that aren't good for eating may move in too.

If you have a house with an unused-unheated room,DON't hang a bunch of mushroom bags in it.

I had a place in Truckee years ago that had heat only in the living room.
House wasn't insulated either.
I used a bedroom that I never used ,for growing stuff.
Mushrooms did very well hung in the room.
Back then,the 70's,you grew spores and innoculated the grow media...
Now you just buy a bag or plugs to put in logs(shitake and other stuff) to get fruiting.

Thing is spores went all over the place AND I guess the old Jute carpet pad makes a good home for spores to grow.

One spring,I guess the temp. and humidity got just right and mushrooms started popping out of the carpet.
LOTS of mushrooms...Grocery bags full of mushrooms,,,Then they started growing out the lower portions of the walls.

Get my point? Whatever the lath and plaster was made out of was also something the mushrooms liked. 

I wonder what the person who moved in after me thought when their bedroom floor started to flush one morning...

Back