• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Mustard Habanero for the win!

This is probably my favorite pepper and I hear very little talk about it, so I want to talk about it.

These peppers can get pretty gnarly for a hab and have excellent taste. It won't melt your face and make you curl up in the corner if you're used to ultra hots but I really enjoy the musty/earthy smell and flavor. It's the blue cheese of peppers.

Here's two different pods from this year. I've got pretty big hands so you can see these can get big. I have others that aren't yet ripe that seem to be even bigger.

Anyone else still enjoy this pepper?

Yeah, its one of my favorites!!

IMG_8421.JPG
IMG_8420.JPG

This one is roughly the size of a tennis ball:

Mustardhab2.JPG
IMG_8773.JPG

I especially love them when they are caramalized in oil!!

Lovepeppers said:
Looks delicious. I must try this variety. I have always and will always have deep feelings for my first love!
How does it compare to the orange hab?
These won't have that fruity orange hab taste at all. More musty/earthy like I said above but would like to hear how others describe them. Last time I made a sauce I only needed 13 peppers for 4 bottles compared to the 40 other any other variety I usually need. So they're very thick flesh and the insides are pillow soft when nicely ripe.

Noah Yates said:
Yeah, its one of my favorites!!

This one is roughly the size of a tennis ball:

I especially love them when they are caramalized in oil!!
Those are great looking pods! The on the right in the last pic is gnarled up!

FGpepperguy said:
I have one growing in my yard!
Excellent, let us know how it's going and post some pics if you can.

Back