• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

"Mustard Habanero"

I don't see this pepper around these parts under this name, but Hirt's sells it as such, see:

http://hirts-gardens.hostedbywebstore.com/Mustard-Habanero-Pepper-Plants-Very/dp/B000RU7C6I

While most everything else I bought from them in my initial round turned out to be totally different from what they were sold as, these peppers hare thrived in my climate and I think some are nearly ready to be picked, I think ... which brings me to my problem, that I can't tell if they are done and what they should look like a such =)

Maybe someone can suggest another name for these peppers, so I can hunt for more info, or let me know about how close they seem ... I picked one a week ago, and it still pretty green inside and not all that hot ...

A picture from earlier this afternoon:

photo1-1.jpg

As usual, any input is appreciated ...

Check out this video from Hippy Seed Co:

My dad is growing these. As far as I can tell, they are ripe when they are a mustard color...

After looking at your pic... those really don't look too much like habs. And with Hirt's wonderful reputation, I am not surprised. :liar:

my friend was actually the man who developed that strain his name is Jim Weaver of Kutztown PA

they are fully ripe and ready when they are just about the color of Guldens spicy brown mustard

your also in for a treat there tasty and quite hot!!

thanks your friend Joe

my friend was actually the man who developed that strain his name is Jim Weaver of Kutztown PA

they are fully ripe and ready when they are just about the color of Guldens spicy brown mustard

your also in for a treat there tasty and quite hot!!

thanks your friend Joe

They have been a whole order of magnitude more hearty than any of the other peppers I've been growing thus far and we're getting pretty excited to have some - but it's not time yet, it seems ...

Thanks for chiming in, I'm going to google him and see what else is out there! ...

gm

By hearty do you mean more heat/pest resistant? Or just an overall easy to grow plant? The pods are beautiful, when I saw the first two on the left I thought they were roses! How is the yield look on those beauties? Sorry for all the questions, but i likes what i sees.

They have been a whole order of magnitude more hearty than any of the other peppers I've been growing thus far and we're getting pretty excited to have some - but it's not time yet, it seems ...

Thanks for chiming in, I'm going to google him and see what else is out there! ...

gm

thanks

my friend also developed the following

Cappuccino Habanero
Peach Scotch Bonnet
Peach Trinidad Scorpion (FROM WHAT I GATHER him and Kevin Malone?)
(original strain) Peach Habanero

thanks your friend Joe

Yep ..the Mustard Hab...good pepper,I have 2-3 growing out back- the turn a weird orange color- mine taste great.I beleive they are also refered to as Spicy Mustard Habaneros as well.Mine came from Pepperjoe.

...Hippy Seed hasn't let me down yet!So I'll have to bulk up with some of theirs as well it seems.

and those pods have a ways to go...let em go for a while-the color change will be obvious Grant.

By hearty do you mean more heat/pest resistant? Or just an overall easy to grow plant? The pods are beautiful, when I saw the first two on the left I thought they were roses! How is the yield look on those beauties? Sorry for all the questions, but i likes what i sees.

They came in great shape w/ huge, dark green leaves from Hirt's ... they grew faster and bigger than most all of the other variety I planted at the same time. There are 8 of them in total, 6 in a tomato planter w/ one potting mix and 2 in pots in a different, organic potting mix ... despite difference in container, and difference in soil, and difference in height from ground etc ... they still ALL are healthier and bigger than most everything else ...

Also though, I had an "accident" a month or so ago where I used the wrong Safer product on my entire set of peppers ... it killed the leaves of everything it touched - except the mustard habs ...

And lastly, they have a pretty good number of pods at present, and a WHOLE BUNCH of new one's forming on the topmost branches ...

For me, they're the star so far for my climate, for sure ...

i have seeds for it, i regret not growing it this year
however i will have to get some from my friend and make some sauce with just them, im sure it will be a goodie

thanks your friend Joe

I shouldn't be surprised by this, it's common for me, but I was JUST barely not patient enough this time ...

Today when I came home, things were looking a lot more obvious =)

Won't be as long for this one as the others, at least!

photo5-1.jpg

We've harvested some of these pods at this point and I maintain that it's my favorite pepper to grow so far. The plants were hardy (here), w/ lots of pods (relatively), and they are actually very hot ... surprisingly hot. I'll definitely continue to grow these, and it's the only variety that I'm sure of that from my first round of plants.

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Back