• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My 2011 hydro test

I have have always been interested in hydro but always though it was too complicated and would be a pain. However my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give it a shot after all what is the worse that can happen? I started this really late in the season with some plants from CCN. I realized that its alot easier than I thought it would and plan on doing much more in hydro next year. Anways here was my results from the last couple months, I know they are not the biggest but I am happy with them, when I got them planted it was still getting very cold at night here in WA. It might not look that big in the pic but the bottom leaves are almost as big as my hand.

5amhk.jpg

My biggest hydro plant a Trinidad Scorpion has tons of flowers and nodes and about 5 peppers so far. This was right after I gave it a good shaking to knock all the flowers that were about to drop off:

TQsAS.jpg

This is the truest looking pod so far:

MXg4w.jpg

I will be bringing this tub indoors and growing the plants thru the winter. Hopefully if all goes well I should get a good amount of pods this winter :pray:

Just wow. I looked up on growing peppers this way and found lots of mixed feelings on it. Joined this great site and found more promising info on it. Have all the gear to do it and have seedlings now to try it. Then see a member in my own backyard (Washington)sharing our climate already doing it and pretty well by the looks.

I got the design from fatalii.net:
http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=69

I have been using the botanicare nutes. I started out changing the reservoir every 2 weeks but have only been doing it about once every 3 weeks lately, doesnt really seem to make a difference for me. They have been sucking up a few gallons of water in a few days so I have to add water and check the PH about once every 4 days to a week. Plus when I do change the res I just give that water to my plants in the ground they love it, only ferts they get.

Looks great, but how are the plants at tipping over in just that small amount of clay? What about putting it outside and dealing with rain? Is a Ph meter really needed? I could have the store test my water, either from a well, or out of the lake, then i would know what it is, or does it change with time?

Yeah PH is an absolute must!! I had the PH too high and got a massive amount of flower drop and yellowing flowers from just a few days, just because I added fresh water in a hurry because I had company. I got it fixed and two days later they are bigger and nice and green again. The PH will usually drop when you add nutes and rise when you add water. You can get a drip PH tester for about 7-8 bucks. I havent had any issues with them tipping with them being out doors if it rains alot the res will usually only go up a few inches.

After fixing the PH issue the plants are much greener again. In that last picture you can tell they were kinda yellowing. I took count on the pods, 8 trinidad scorps and 7 7pods. Hopefully they like the HPS they will be going under next week.

c1ZKy.jpg

I use the Pure Blend Pro thats the main nute that the plant needs, the Liquid Karma and Cal/Mag are just additional supplements for the plants. Not needed but helpful. I use those also but not at full strength.

Back