• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

my box of tubes are going to the dump!!

I had a shelf setup with 4 4ft tubes ( the good growlights) on each level and they were working ok so I thought ..... borrowed a light meter and the needle didnt even move when held up against the light!!!!!
took out my trusty hps 400 watt unit and it will burry the needle on the light meter from 8 feet away!!
after one day under this light ALL of my plants are doing better and the 1200 wave petunias are back from the dead.

so to all of you looking at growing indoors I suggest you just buy a good 250 or 400 watt unit and enjoy.

I have about 50 tubes for free if anyone is in canada and wants them ... just pay shipping

Some of those light meters are crap, keep in mind. I have had two that would do strange thingsa, like not move when in direct sunlight.

Yeah, and you can hardly compare a 400W HPS with 40W florescents.

Did the meter have range settings like a multimeter? If so, the floros may not have registered if it was set for a higher range than they are capable of.

My meter has different settings that I need to change: 1X, 10X and 100X. There are far too many people growing seedlings under fluros for them not to work.

Mike

If ya do decide to get rid of 'em, try Craigslist.
I'd love to snag them, but I'm a bit far away for shipping.

wordwiz said:
My meter has different settings that I need to change: 1X, 10X and 100X. There are far too many people growing seedlings under fluros for them not to work.

Mike

they will work but not as well as a mh or a hps.

we grow alot of flowers and wave petunias are very hard to start from seed and we lost alot due to tubes.

then I read about all the people with cfls and leds and I wonder how much they dump in cash on these setups when a 250 watt mh would be way better .

but each to there own and hey we are all here to have fun and learn to grow better bigger hotter peppers .

shayneyasinski said:
then I read about all the people with cfls and leds and I wonder how much they dump in cash on these setups when a 250 watt mh would be way better .

but each to there own and hey we are all here to have fun and learn to grow better bigger hotter peppers .

250w would kill my batteries in a couple of hours! If the inverter doesn't kick off first. 25w on the other hand can stay on pretty much all day and not catch anything on fire. :P

Oh, and LEDs are pretty.

One of the reasons I love growing peppers is that they start so well under cheap fluoresent lights, but it does becomes inefficient once you get into using a lot of floro tubes

QuadShotz said:
If ya do decide to get rid of 'em, try Craigslist.
I'd love to snag them, but I'm a bit far away for shipping.

craigslist sucks in canada... it doesnt get the traffic in canada like it does in usa

shayneyasinski said:
I had a shelf setup with 4 4ft tubes ( the good growlights) on each level and they were working ok so I thought ..... borrowed a light meter and the needle didnt even move when held up against the light!!!!!
took out my trusty hps 400 watt unit and it will burry the needle on the light meter from 8 feet away!!
after one day under this light ALL of my plants are doing better and the 1200 wave petunias are back from the dead.

so to all of you looking at growing indoors I suggest you just buy a good 250 or 400 watt unit and enjoy.

I have about 50 tubes for free if anyone is in canada and wants them ... just pay shipping

What kind of fluorescents are you talking about cause I was wondering if my 4-foot 4 tube T5 fixture would do the job.

It has 4 4-foot bulbs which put out 5,000 lumens each for a total of 20k lumens

Back