• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My Carolina Reaper got bent.

Today after coming home from a 13 hour work day I found my Carolina Reaper bent over at the base of the main stem. It looked like it had tried to grow up toward the light, but where the stem was pinched by the fall it looks dry. It won't stand up on its own; I have taped it to a standing position. I don't know how to feel about it. I think I still have hope that the plant will recover, but I can't see how.

How big is your plant ? If it broke like that.I would either put it in dirt or water to make it grow roots.You might end up with two plant instead of one. :think:  

I had a 3 foot tall plant bend and crack/split at the base from falling off a bench during high winds... Duct taped it up tight with a splint, took the tape off a few months later and the stem was completely healed and about twice as thick .. Made the plant stronger in the long run. 

I have an overwintered plant that broke a limb in previous spring.  It's still splinted and scotch-taped up.  Never removed it.  So, yes it works.

Is this a seedling? Is it dark colored at the soil level? It fell over at the soil level? Sounds like your seedling "damped off". It's from keeping the soil too damp with not enough air movement. If this is the case, the seedling will not recover. It's gone. Sorry!

The plant is about a foot tall and it has nice green leaves. There isn't a lot of air circulation, but there is some when the heat comes on. The soil is a Miracle Grow potting mix that protects against over- and under- watering. The plant is currently propped up. I am watching for signs that water is not getting past the damaged part of the trunk, but so far nothing seems different.

Back