My damn ant-ridden non-fruiting Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

This pepper plant has been putting out flowers for 2 months, and every single one has dropped without producing a single pepper.  Plant is slender but looks healthy.  Weather in Charlotte, NC has been low to mid 90s with high humidity for the past month.  I've been fertilizing with 10-10-10 and hand pollinating but no dice.

Today I was out there again hand pollinating and realized that every single flower had an ant or two in it.  But it seems like they would help move the pollen around, right?  Anyway, I'm about reading to give up on this thing.  If anyone has any ideas let me know.   :hell:  :tear:

Thanks

Have you had any other bug issues ? As noted the ants themselves are not really a problem and can help in pollination - but since you mention just noticing the ants - perhaps they are there because they are farming aphids and you haven't noticed the aphids yet !

Aphids feed on the plant leaves and can take a lot of energy away from the plant which will effect production (and the ants feed on the honeydew the aphids produce as they are feeding on the leaves, so ants will protect and move the aphids around the plant) - Check under the leaves closely and make sure they are not infested.

My Trinidad Moruga Scorpion took a beating with heat and mites, but it was able to bounce back and I now have a super prolific bush. I hope yours comes around!!!

I found my plant really started turning around once I stopped feeding it. Just plain tap water and it LOVES it. Well, I do add a touch of molasses here and there still, as well as even-less-of-a-touch of seaweed extract.

I took a few pics of the finally growing pods and posted them to my IG account - link in sig

Cut down on the Nitrogen and use a foliar spray of epsom and kelp.some plants are just stubborn but this should help.
Btw ants are a bad sign, they usually mean aphids! Carefully inspect you plants for aphids. Esp new growth and the underside of leaves.

I second what megahot said. Also, if flowers are dropping, try to move the plant into shade. If you've had brutal temps the last week or two that can really effect flower drop. 

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately I can't move the plant because it's planted in the ground.  I didn't see any aphids at all after a careful check.  I'll experiment with different fertilizer options and see what happens.  Thanks again.

I was talking with a pretty garden savvy friend today and he said from what I described it could be blossom end rot that is causing pepper buds to yellow and drop shortly after the flowers fall off.  He suggested buying some blossom end rot spray which is mostly calcium and spraying the plant with that.  I have only ever seen blossom end rot on tomatoes and that after the fruit was already pretty good sized, so it hadn't occurred to me.

Borax and sugar if the ants get to farming aphids.I have not had this problem for 2 years,but getting rid of the farmers saved my crop.

this is a 3 inch pod heading out to a THP member monday
DSCF0486_2.jpg

Back