• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My First Bonsia Pepper Plant

I'm using a Chinese multi- color plant to make my first bonsia!I thought that this would look cool with the different colored pods on it!
07-27-09_0541.jpg

This is actually called "Bonchi"

AWESOME! I've planned on trying this since the beginning of this season. I'm definitely at the very least going to try and salvage a few plants with nice stems from my raised bed to try it out. They'd usually just get pulled up anyhow.

Right now it looks like a Charlie Brown christmas tree, but I'm sure it will bush out nicely. It actually looks like the way I do my overwintered plants

POTAWIE said:
Right now it looks like a Charlie Brown christmas tree, but I'm sure it will bush out nicely. It actually looks like the way I do my overwintered plants

Thats how I got started, then I remembered reading about bonchi! It's just not one I wanted to overwinter either!

Hey man,

I was also so interested in this as when winter comes here is Swiss land it's really cold and nothing but pine trees will survive outside, so what to to? Chop em.

Did you also have to cut the roots right back? How much did you leave on? I'm very keen to have a little chillie tree in my house. What a conversation piece.

I had the same problem with my hydro, no space, too crowded, some plants growing faster than others stealing the light, all these things, so I had to plant some of mine into pots on the window sill.

Please keep us updated on how it goes, like when the poor thing gets some foliage back.

Keep well

Nilsen said:
Hey man,

I was also so interested in this as when winter comes here is Swiss land it's really cold and nothing but pine trees will survive outside, so what to to? Chop em.

Did you also have to cut the roots right back? How much did you leave on? I'm very keen to have a little chillie tree in my house. What a conversation piece.

I had the same problem with my hydro, no space, too crowded, some plants growing faster than others stealing the light, all these things, so I had to plant some of mine into pots on the window sill.

Please keep us updated on how it goes, like when the poor thing gets some foliage back.

Keep well

I will keep you updated! The roots were cut back to about 3 centimeters, the pot is rather shallow.
I will have to try something different for hydro this winter, and grow some smaller compact peppers!

Back