• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first chili is red. Do I take it off

My first chili is red should I take it off?
j7t9h4.jpg

Edit: I am asking because I heard if you don't pick off red chillies they can cause the plant to die because the plant is thinking "I have fulfilled my purpose in life, I have fully mature offspring ready to go. Goodbye world!"
Edit 2: I just chopped up two green Thai chillies off of my plant since my mom wants me to keep a few reds to make it look nice and if the seeds are any indication, I will have more seeds than I need for a decade. These seems to have a firm skin as it was hard to actually cut through.
m832x3.jpg

I would pick it, and plant the seeds straight away to get the next gen on its way.
That's my plan, keep planting and growing seeds off my own plants to get as many generations of it grown locally as quickly as possible to get them used to the climate here.

nzchili said:
I would pick it, and plant the seeds straight away to get the next gen on its way.
That's my plan, keep planting and growing seeds off my own plants to get as many generations of it grown locally as quickly as possible to get them used to the climate here.
Thing is that I'm in canada and we are having some unnaturally warm days but it still isn't good for growing cuz even in the winter there is very little light for me.

sicman said:
You can start or save the seeds.  Still you need to eat that pepper in the next thing you cook. A.S.A.P. we want pics of the grub also :rofl:
As someone of the south Asian ethnic group this should go well.
Hawaiianero said:
Is that a Thai chili? Eat it fresh or toss it in your next stir fry or ramen bowl. Can't go wrong.
Probably is, their parent pods were brought from Bangladesh so I don't know if it is a rural cultivar or the common green Thai chili.

Remember that seed from immature green pods may not be viable.  Save seeds from red ripe pods.   Leaving ripe pods on will not make the plant die, but if you leave too many on it can weigh branches to the point of breaking or dragging the ground, especially if outdoors and a strong gust of wind comes along.

Seed germination rate will go down after the first few years of storage.  It's best to replenish your seed stock often rather than waiting one winter or spring for sprouts that never come up due to bad seed.

Although it looks related it is not the typical Thai Chili.  It has more of a waxy appearance and lighter red color.  Then again a dozen different things are called thai peppers and that's as good a name as any for them.

I have wondered this myself, not so much whether it will make the plant die, but if it is like a rose bush and if you allow it to sit there with ripe pods on will that inhibit the production of new flowers. People dead head their rose bushes so the plant wants to keep making new flowers because it hasn't achieved it's goal of making seeds.

Hawaiianero said:
Is that a Thai chili? Eat it fresh or toss it in your next stir fry or ramen bowl. Can't go wrong.
Yes a ramen bowl sounds great. I will pick some ripe chili's today and make a ramen bowl. Yum yum 

Jonquill said:
I have wondered this myself, not so much whether it will make the plant die, but if it is like a rose bush and if you allow it to sit there with ripe pods on will that inhibit the production of new flowers. People dead head their rose bushes so the plant wants to keep making new flowers because it hasn't achieved it's goal of making seeds.

People sometimes argue about this but I say no, leaving peppers on will not inhibit new pods.  Every year I have hundreds of ripe peppers on plants that have hundreds more new blooms and pods produced continually.  There's no way I would ever pick less than 50 pods at a time off a plant after the first couple months, it would be way too much work.

Back