• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My first Glog

Hey everyone I am new to this forum but have learned so much good info and I feel like I am ready to dive in and start a log! I just received my seeds from mpicante and got em soaking for 24 hours before I sow in soil pods. Heres what I got!

Thanks again mpicante!

My small list of what I am starting off with: planted on 10/10/15
-Reaper
-Chocolate scotch bonnet
-Yellow brain strain 7 pot
-Chocolate brain strain 7 pot (pepper lover)
-Red brain strain 7 pot
-Orange bell
These were planted in the beginning of October
-Orange habanero
-Ghost pepper (pepper joe)
-Trinidad scourpion (pepper joe)

Most recently added:
-CHEIRO ROXA
-Giant red stuffed

Small update: so more of my seedlings have popped out! I used one seed per cell:
Ones that are showing
-Reaper
-Brain Strain chocolate (pl)
-Scotch bonnet chocolate
-Brain Strain yellow 7 pot
-Brain Strain red 7 pot

I also have a question regarding a small ghost plant:
could that leaf be burned cause of nutes or light ? I find it hard to believe it's a nute deficiency this early. Any thoughts?

Small update: everything seems to be going well. I just so happened to find a 4ft t8 fixture in my garage. It has 3700 lumens and 4000k bulbs. My grow lights right above my plants are 6500k. I set up the t8 fixture at the very top of my grow box. I was wondering its probably not nessesary but I was wondering if adding some more lumens and 4000k color temp could have any good or bad effects? Here the most recent pic

overkill? Waste of power? Thanks for any input sure these are all noob questions!

Hope it's not too soon for an update! I am just really pleased with how everything's turning out. So I thought I would share some progress! Here's 3 of my peppers that seem to be doing the best.(all others look good also)
From left to right: Orange hab (started at the beginning of October) then scorpion pepper (started October 10th) and to the right my ghost pepper(started October 10th)
Here's another shot of the hab:

And one last one:

Welcome and best of luck!

18/6 is fine for lighting.  I use 17/7 myself and often witness growth after the night cycle.  

If you are using any normal brand of potting soil, you don't need ANY fertilizer for a while.  If so, for new seedlings, don't give them any fertilizers, until you see nutritional deficiencies, or if growth slows to a crawl.  What kind of soil is this? What ingredients are listed on the bag?

dragon49 said:
Welcome and best of luck!

18/6 is fine for lighting.  I use 17/7 myself and often witness growth after the night cycle.  

If you are using any normal brand of potting soil, you don't need ANY fertilizer for a while.  If so, for new seedlings, don't give them any fertilizers, until you see nutritional deficiencies, or if growth slows to a crawl.  What kind of soil is this? What ingredients are listed on the bag?
thankyou dragon49! As far as soil I am using foxfarm ocean forest. All my seedlings just get plain 6.0 ph adjusted water and the bigger plants are getting half streingth of the seedling dose. I figure it's such a low dose you think it still might be too much? After 3 1/2 fert waterings I water with plain water. Is it best to not wait till there are deficiencies before giving nutrients? I definently don't want to kill my plants with kindness. Also in your experiance you have noticed faster growth using 17/7?

Adamkaijorg said:
thankyou dragon49! As far as soil I am using foxfarm ocean forest. All my seedlings just get plain 6.0 ph adjusted water and the bigger plants are getting half streingth of the seedling dose. I figure it's such a low dose you think it still might be too much? After 3 1/2 fert waterings I water with plain water. Is it best to not wait till there are deficiencies before giving nutrients? I definently don't want to kill my plants with kindness. Also in your experiance you have noticed faster growth using 17/7?
I've gone both 18/6 and 17/7 and don't see any differences, so to save a little on my electric bill, I just go 17/7.  I'm not a P.H expert, but am curious as to why you adjust to 6.0?  My Tap water is a neutral 6.9 and all sizes of my plants have no problems with it.  What is the P.H. of your tap water?  Your fertilizers aren't very high nitrogen, but I think that 3 consecutive fert waterings is too much.  I've killed a few plants with too much fertilizer and once grew a Brazilian Ghost that had tiny pods because of too much nitrogen.  If you end up with nutritional deficiencies, it is very easy to cure them with a little fertilizer, but if you over-fertilize, it is very hard and sometimes impossible to reverse the damage.  You can try by flushing the soil with lots of water until it runs out the bottom, but this always doesn't work and when it does work, it can take weeks and weeks to reverse the damage, and during this time, you lose that part of the season, (if outdoors) or waste light if indoors.   I am off 2 sleep, but tomorrow night, I will post a pic of a HUGE plant that got to the size in the picture, with just potting soil and water.

I've been growing Peppers for 7+ years now and am still learning, but my most important lesson has been to not over-fertilize. Regarding fertilizer recommendations, I love Maxi-Bloom - http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-MaxiBloom-Gardening-2-2-Pound/dp/B00NXVZQUW I have used it full strenght (every 5 waterings or so) on my larger outdoor plants.  I even used it a little too much on my indoor plats, but it didn't cause any damage.  I also love worm castings.  I just add a liberal amount to the top of the soil and water through, without additional fertilizer.  

If you see puffed out leaves, this is a sign of too much nitrogen and you need to stop fertilizing.  

Try an experiment:  Start some new seedlings and see how long you can go without fertilizing.

dragon49 said:
I've gone both 18/6 and 17/7 and don't see any differences, so to save a little on my electric bill, I just go 17/7.  I'm not a P.H expert, but am curious as to why you adjust to 6.0?  My Tap water is a neutral 6.9 and all sizes of my plants have no problems with it.  What is the P.H. of your tap water?  Your fertilizers aren't very high nitrogen, but I think that 3 consecutive fert waterings is too much.  I've killed a few plants with too much fertilizer and once grew a Brazilian Ghost that had tiny pods because of too much nitrogen.  If you end up with nutritional deficiencies, it is very easy to cure them with a little fertilizer, but if you over-fertilize, it is very hard and sometimes impossible to reverse the damage.  You can try by flushing the soil with lots of water until it runs out the bottom, but this always doesn't work and when it does work, it can take weeks and weeks to reverse the damage, and during this time, you lose that part of the season, (if outdoors) or waste light if indoors.   I am off 2 sleep, but tomorrow night, I will post a pic of a HUGE plant that got to the size in the picture, with just potting soil and water.

I've been growing Peppers for 7+ years now and am still learning, but my most important lesson has been to not over-fertilize. Regarding fertilizer recommendations, I love Maxi-Bloom - http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-MaxiBloom-Gardening-2-2-Pound/dp/B00NXVZQUW I have used it full strenght (every 5 waterings or so) on my larger outdoor plants.  I even used it a little too much on my indoor plats, but it didn't cause any damage.  I also love worm castings.  I just add a liberal amount to the top of the soil and water through, without additional fertilizer.  

If you see puffed out leaves, this is a sign of too much nitrogen and you need to stop fertilizing.  

Try an experiment:  Start some new seedlings and see how long you can go without fertilizing.
Loving all this good info! my plants are looking good so i am gonna try that experiment you suggested and see what happens with my giant red stuffed bells. Thats what all this is about right!? As for my water, my tap runs about 8.0-8.5! As i am starting my plants indoors i just want to dial everything in so i can get some good strong plants. I know foxfarm has buffers but i am just taking this extra step. I am also starting a DWC setup for my red brain strain so i have ph control so i figured i'd use what i got. I also check the ph of the drain off water from my pots and it sits at a good 6.0. So i think that makes more of the nutrients available for the plant to take up.(another reason i should stop fertilizing) I have heard awesome things about maxi-bloom i'll have to pick some up. I currently have happy frog   http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.php/item/happy-frog-fruit-and-flower-fertilizer.htmlfruit and flower i was planing on using when i move my plants outside. Of course once my plants are hardened off i will use hose water as we don't get much rain over here in socal. I'll look forward to seeing your pic, always love some inspiration!  

Love the leaf growth ! That's what I am shooting for! A nice dark green! My plants have dried out (I got them on 24 hour air circulation) so I am watering again with my 6.0 water and letting some drain a bit. Everything's looking healthy tho ! I did get a free sample of rhizo blast from botanicare and they told me you really can't over do it on that stuff. I might give that a shot a little later to boost root growth and see how that works. Also on cappys ch bs thread he explains using 6.0 water as well and his crop is amazing!

Quick update:
Hey all and thanks for following my progress and helping me along my first grow! I had to rearrange some things in my grow box to accommodate my DWC bucket! I am growing red brain strain in the bucket so we will see how that goes. As for everything else, its looking quite green and healthy. The big plants (orange hab) already have bright white fuzzy roots coming out the drain holes of the cups. My seedlings have also taken off, there are a few that look a little deformed so ill just keep an eye on those to see what the next set of true leafs look like.
Heres what i got going on today:

just transplanted seedlings today into the net pot. (no nutes of course) 

Heres a full shot of everything, i use the heat on the top of my t5 as a heat mat and works great!

mpicante said:
So how many of what varieties do you have started?
Well i have 6 varieties started from your seeds
reaper 
ch scotch bonnet
yellow brain strain
red brain strain
ch brain strain (pl)
orange bell

i also have started 
pdn x bhut purple (Juanitos)
yellow scotch bonnet (Juanitos)
ch habanero (Juanitos)
Giant red stuffed (PL)
cheiro roxa

...and a couple more i started at the beginning of this month from pepper joe

All together i have about 13 varieties going lol.

here is a tray with 6 of the varieties i got from you, most have germinated! i sowed 6 seeds per variety.

Here's a pic of my Trinidad scorpion. It has just exploded in the past couple days:

Close up of the new growth:

Here are a couple of my Carolina reaper seedlings (bottom row).. Any idea what's going on here? Is it to early to tell? I have inspected everything and haven't seen any pests:

As my plants are getting bigger I figured I am gonna need more lumens. So I decided to build a grow light using 2 limostudio 6500k Cfls.
Put together they make about 12,600 lumens! Built the whole light for about 50 bucks

As far as my dwc bucket my seedling hasn't been doing much (maybe just cause I am anxious) but the leaves are a bit more yellow than the ones in soil. So 3 days ago I added 1/4 nutriants at a total ppm of 183 and ph about 5.8. It's hard to see but I finally see some true leaves coming in! I think in a week I will switch to 1/2 streingth nutes so I don't shock it.

moruga welder said:
looking good !      :onfire:
thanks moruga welder! I just don't know what I am gonna do with all these plants in this small space. I was looking at some hps and mh kits on eBay on the cheap and when the canopy gets bigger I want to make sure I have a sufficient light source. Most plants will go outside but the hydro will not and probably some select potted ones as well that I would like to get to flower indoors.

Back