• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My first Habanero crop

Here are a couple of pics of some of the Habanero peppers that I have ripening off on the vine still. These pics were taken last Friday and the peppers have already ripened to an orange-ish hue.

IMG_4102-1.jpg

IMG_4082-1.jpg

I hadn't had too much luck with hot peppers in the past, because of our rather short growing season, but when I saw some nice Habs and Jalapeno peppers in late June or so at Walmart I decided to give them another go.

The thing I did differently this year was to put the peppers into large pots that could then be moved into the garage overnight once the cold weather hit. I also had the pots placed along the south facing side of the house.

What I didn't do, and plan to do next year is fertilize my plants, to get more and faster growth out of them.

I'm hoping that I can overwinter these peppers indoors and put them out next spring for a good head start on the growing season.

I've really become quite interested in hot peppers and have been looking at some of the excellent pepper sites on the web, which eventually brought me here.

I have already ordered some interesting varieties of pepper seed and am looking forward to starting them for next summer. And with a good fertilizer regimen in place, I'm hoping for a bumper crop next year. ;D

And with the wealth of knowledge available on this site and the internet, I should have more than enough info to help me along with these spicy devils.;)

dvg

Great job! You will need these to stay warm up there in Canada. I grew so many a few years ago that I still have glass jars stuffed full as decorations around the house :)

Yes, SYJ I can't believe all of the info there is here on this site. It's definitely going to take a while to sift through a lot of this.

But knowledge is good.;)

Haha, AtomicArmidillo...I believe you.

Some of these peppers are so damn hot, that just a little goes a long, long way. And with a bountiful crop harvest, I'd be set up like a squirrel that hit the mother load for quite some time too!

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Here's a pic from today of the Habs coloring up nicely.

IMG_4155-1.jpg

Since I joined up here a few days ago, I've already ordered hot pepper seeds from Pepper Joes, Pepperlover and The Hippy Seed Company.

I want to get these seeds started under lights in the basement over the winter, so that I can get a headstart for next year's hot pepper crop.

The Habaneros shown above will have to be moved inside permanently for the winter.

But they're having a good day outside today, with the temps currently at 23C.

And while I'm at it, here is the other pepper I'm growing this year, three Jalapeno peppers in the same pot.

Kinda hard to see since they haven't turned red yet.

IMG_4164-1.jpg

Most of the bigger ones have already been picked, but I spied at least two with a tinge of red on them, so hopefully they will ripen up soon as well.

They might not be the biggest or the bestest, but they're mine. :)

Good growing everyone,

Doug
dvg

One last pic of a ripened Habanero still on the vine.

IMG_4173-1.jpg

Hoping i can coax some larger sized peppers out of my plants next year.

Should be able to improve on this year's results with a bit more effort.;)

dvg

Interesting shape on the habaneros, I wonder what strain they are. Anyways, welcome to the site, great people and great info here. This place helped me alot last winter when I was getting started. I ended up with so many peppers I gave alot away to friends and co workers, froze a bunch, made some killer hot sauces and about half of them still went to waste :-( Next year i wont plant so many seeds LOL

Reactions: dvg
Howdy, Doug

Have the leaves on your jalapenos been that yellow for some time, or is that just happening with the cold weather? I've been bringing my 'penos inside in the evenings, and they're still a lush green and still podding, which is why I ask. Flowers are done now, though. I'm planning on letting everything go dormant once the pods ripen, since I'm in an old, cold, drafty house in NE Ohio.

G

Reactions: dvg
Interesting shape on the habaneros, I wonder what strain they are. Anyways, welcome to the site, great people and great info here. This place helped me alot last winter when I was getting started. I ended up with so many peppers I gave alot away to friends and co workers, froze a bunch, made some killer hot sauces and about half of them still went to waste :-( Next year i wont plant so many seeds LOL

Matt50680, I bought that plant at Walmart in early summer. The tags in the pot said that it was a Habanero.

Thanks for the welcome! I have learned so much since I have been reading threads on this site.

Next summer and fall, I'd like to do exactly what you have done. I know it is easy to get excited and maybe a little carried away with all the seeds. But once we try a few, we have a better idea of what we want to continue growing the next year.

they almost look like bishop's crowns. =D which is also a chinense.

Franzb69, it does look a bit like a orange bishop's crown. I'm wondering if the cold nights and cooler summer we had in combination with the plants getting no supplementary fertilizer treatments, might have scrunched the pods a little.

I did have a couple of pods, though still small, that looked more like a Habanero pod is supposed to.

Hopefully with these plants being overwintered and getting an earlier start next year, they might produce more conventional looking pods.

Howdy, Doug

Have the leaves on your jalapenos been that yellow for some time, or is that just happening with the cold weather? I've been bringing my 'penos inside in the evenings, and they're still a lush green and still podding, which is why I ask. Flowers are done now, though. I'm planning on letting everything go dormant once the pods ripen, since I'm in an old, cold, drafty house in NE Ohio.

G

Hi Geeme,

My Jalapeno plants have been having their leaves turn more of a yellowish tinge for about a month now.

It could be because of the colder weather.

But I'm guessing it might be more of a nutritional deficiency. It looks like they could use some more magnesium/calcium.

I put epsom salts in with my tomatos this year and they looked the best ever. I'll have to do the same with the peppers next year, as well as regularly feed them with an organic full spectrum fertilizer.

This was my first year of having any kind of success, so I'm really going to step up my efforts with these plants next year.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Franzb69, it does look a bit like a orange bishop's crown. I'm wondering if the cold nights and cooler summer we had in combination with the plants getting no supplementary fertilizer treatments, might have scrunched the pods a little.

I did have a couple of pods, though still small, that looked more like a Habanero pod is supposed to.

Hopefully with these plants being overwintered and getting an earlier start next year, they might produce more conventional looking pods.

could be. but best way to find out is to taste 'em. =D have ya tested them yet? a bit of amending like you said may help with pod sizes. =D

Franzb69, I have tried about three or four of them raw and they are very hot, but 'hot' is a relative and subjective term.

Also have to 'fess up that I am not experienced enough with Habanero's to truly know that definitive 'Habanero flavor'.

Obviously i need a bit more seasoning, but i'm looking forward to the experience i'm about to gain over the next year or so. :mouthonfire:

Best,

Doug
dvg

Well there must be a real difference in heat amongst some Habs, 'cuz I remember eating a raw store bought Habanero about six or seven years ago and I was in agony...that one made my gums ache and lasted for a good 45 minutes.

These ones are not that hot, but maybe I'm building up a bit of a tolerance to hot foods. I try to eat something hot and spicy everyday now.

Cheers,

Doug
dvg

Doesn't have the growth habit of an habanero....it is a chinense, though.

All habaneros are cap chinense.
All cap chinenses are not habaneros.

they look real nice. We took our last in on thanksgiving weekend. The cold weather rely cuts it short. oh well.

they look real nice. We took our last in on thanksgiving weekend. The cold weather rely cuts it short. oh well.

Thanks Kevinv. We live in a zone 3, so we have a very short growing season. I need to get my seeds plants well in advance of the outdoor season, and then have them in pots to overnight them in the garage once September comes around.

And will be overwintering these to get even a better headstart next summer.

@ Willard3, I'm still holding out hope that these are indeed true Habaneros.

On the weekend I bought a bunch of orange Habanero peppers at a local supermarket. I have been eating a whole raw Hab a day to increase my heat tolerance.

The orange store bought Habs taste the same as the fruit from my Walmart purchased Hab plants.

And the heat level is very close with the store bought Habs being a bit hotter, but also much bigger in size as well.

So next year, with a headstart, larger pots for my plants(this year I put three plants in the same pot), overwintered plants and a regular fertilizing regimen, even with the cool nights here and the short growing season, I'm hoping these Hab pods will be larger in size and truer in shape.

Doug
dvg

Back