• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first hot peppers

Hey guys!!! So, this is my first year growing hot peppers. I planted some Red Habaneros that I grew from seeds (ebay bought).I planted 6 plants in two big pots (3+3).

I used rabbit droppings when I transplanted them in the pots.Since then I've been adding my own urine and wood ash every now and then. ( Don't say gross) :)

When the first buds started to flower none of them would set as all of them turned yello and dropped. Then I added about 2 handfulls of wood ash in each pot. Immediately on the next day since the wood ash application, all of the flowers in each plant had set.

WFla0Hm.jpg

AUU9BC9.jpg

80RuIGB.jpg

c0PN2WE.jpg

YRGl64Y.jpg

This looks like a magnesium defficiency, probably cause of the excess potassium that the wood ash contains.

IMiQSzM.jpg

I keep this Mantis as a pet on my plants. It was about 7 mm when I found it in my garden and put it on the pepper plants. Now its 4-5 cms big.

9vHyyRI.jpg

Well, it may sound gross, but you've got great results going.  That's way more pods than any of my plants have, and I didn't pee on any of them :)

Not going to say gross....

Things look like they are going well.  Some epson salt should help with the yellowing.  But the yellow doesn't look concerning yet.

Look forward to seeing how they ripen.

Those yellow leaves appeared only in the newest tiniest leaves of my biggest plant, which has the most pods than the other plants so I don't find it concerning at all, as they turn green as they get bigger (leaves).

Applying wood ash gives great results in the number of pods set  :)  You should try it guys.

Really nice plants, I'm also a first time chili grower. Wish my plants looked like yours! How does the ash help the plants?

newril said:
Really nice plants, I'm also a first time chili grower. Wish my plants looked like yours! How does the ash help the plants?

Well, wood ash contains in large quantities, potassium, phosphorus and calcium, and in smaller amounts all other chemical elements except nitrogen and sulfur. Mixing wood ash with human urine creates a really good homemade fertilizer. I used wood ash cause as I've seen from test on my tomato plants, the plants set more fruits when I apply a good dose of wood ash, in the flowering stage. I guess its the potassium that the wood ash contains that gives those great results.

kouts5 said:

Well, wood ash contains in large quantities, potassium, phosphorus and calcium, and in smaller amounts all other chemical elements except nitrogen and sulfur. Mixing wood ash with human urine creates a really good homemade fertilizer. I used wood ash cause as I've seen from test on my tomato plants, the plants set more fruits when I apply a good dose of wood ash, in the flowering stage. I guess its the potassium that the wood ash contains that gives those great results.

Thank you for the info, have to get me some wood ash:)

edit: Should you mix the ash with water or just lay on top of the soil?

/alexander

newril said:

Thank you for the info, have to get me some wood ash:)

edit: Should you mix the ash with water or just lay on top of the soil?

/alexander

Either way, it works. When I first applied it, I just put it on top of the soil. After that, when I applied it, I put a handfull of wood ash in a bucket, 200 ml of urine and about 5 litres of water , and water both pots.

Back