• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My first jolokia plant (seedling right now). Is it sick maybe?

I must try that. Will the mixture dry out the leaves or it should be fairly safe? I assume it would be safe. I have some 70% rubbing alcohol at home so if I do a half half mix, it would effectively be 35% then I guess right? Cant wait to get rid of those pesky plant suckers.

Everybody here knows Neil as he is a valued member. He's just the best!

You scared me when you mentioned R.. Re.. that place. If you had gotten the seeds from there I wouldn't have been surprised if what you have tured out to be corn. Seriuosly!

I use a rotating arsenal or pyrethrum, soaps, neem, and chile/garlic sprays but for some reason I never seem to have mites on my pepper plants, although most of my houseplants get loaded with them

I was even thinking of blasting the plant with hairspray and then a few hours later blasting it with water to wash away the sticky mess. I figured the hairspray would essentially coat them with something hard and sticky and maybe it would kill them, then the water would wash the carnage away. I use hairspray for flying insects. Its great :)

Ok I'll stay away from that crazy idea. I thought maybe if it was for a short time, it would be ok (I'd test it on one plant of course) but ya maybe its a bit unsafe to try. So would spraying the leaves every day lead to mold or am i safe if the humidity is pretty low?

svtcontour said:
I must try that. Will the mixture dry out the leaves or it should be fairly safe? I assume it would be safe. I have some 70% rubbing alcohol at home so if I do a half half mix, it would effectively be 35% then I guess right? Cant wait to get rid of those pesky plant suckers.

No it will not dry the leaves, but you must make contact with the mites to kill them and keep after them for a couple of weeks to kill their offspring before they can breed. Yep, 70% is the stuff you need.

AlabamaJack said:
I probably do things differently than a lot of folks but about 7 days after my seedlings pop, I start giving them a mild treatment of nutrients in their water and spritz some on the leaves too...in about another week, I will give them a spritz of Epsom Salt diluted to 1 Tbsp per gallon of water(thats about 7.5 gms/liter - 3/4 tsp/liter)

I would like to talk more about this spritz. Do you mean you just spritz once or do you actually coat the leaves with your solution?

Back