• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My First Journal

OK, I just decided to record my most recent exploits in chile world. OK, since my initial success with chiles I have decided that I want to grow mainly 4 kinds of chiles. The rest will be more like fillers. Last thursday I planted the following seeds:

32 Caribbean Reds
32 Fatalis
16 Datil
16 Bhut Jolokia

As of today still no sprouting from any of them. Will keep you posted...

Good luck with your efforts! Please keep us posted. Your plants look beyond great so far, so you can have high hopes for the new ones!

Does the climate allow you to grow all year?

Yeah... We are just entering winter right now, which is not actually winter but rainy season. Temperatures right now are in the 70s and will drop to the 60s in a month or so. Which will not bother my chiles.

OK... I have 16 Caribbean Reds that have sprouted. Something strange happened because I have 2 seedlings coming out of some cups and I was under the impression that I had only planted one per cup. Well... my little seedlings proved to be very resilient, since my son managed to pull 6 of them to the ground and spill soil and seedlings. I replanted and they seem to be doing ok. Will post pictures tomorrow

That's gotta be a nice feeling to grow them outside all year. I plan on growing year round as well, but I've gotta use growlights and such. Good luck on your peppers as well. Sounds tasty!!:onfire:

Ok... Something is wrong with my fatalis, bhuts and datils. Only on Bhut made its debhut (pun intended). It has been two weeks since I planted and not a sign of life. I am saddened to think they may not make it after all.

Some of the seedlings are in some trouble, though. About half of them are still hull bound and in my experience these always die. Anyone know of a way to dehull them safely? Here are some pics:

05062008138-1.jpg

05062008139-1.jpg

05062008140-1.jpg

For the hull bound ones you can fiddle around with tweezers on them, spray them with water to soften the seed case, squeeze the case gently to crack it. I tend to leave them be as I've killed too many seedlings trying to be brave with the seed hat, yours don't look too stuck on so I expect they'll shed them eventually.

Andres next time before you start the seeds sook paper towel with deluted Hydrogen peroxide put the seeds on at for few minute than plant in small containers that way will soften up hull then water up that way you will have faster germination , usually if the seeds are little old or from wild species or Rocotos (C.Pubescens) variety they have hard hull hope next time they all come out for you out of hull.

Thanks for the tips... will do next time. I did soak the seeds in a weak chamomille infusion... Hope that didn't have anything to do with my poor germination rate

Andres, what I have done is as RB said except I let the seed hulls dry out completely, then I take a pair of tweezers, place the jaws on each "seam" of the seed and gently squeeze 'till the husk cracks....this has to be a gentle operation and if you are not steady handed, don't try it...most everyone here mists the seed husk first before fiddlin' with them...I just tried something else and it worked for me...

Well... it's been 6 weeks since the little seedlings hatched. Surprisingly, some seedlings sprouted other seedlings from seeds I probably dropped accidentaly into the cups when planting. Now I have 24 little caribbean reds and 2 Bhuts. None of the datils or fatallis sprouted. Too bad since I really wanted to try the datils.

Well, I am happy that the ones that made it are very healthy looking, although not growing as fast as I expected. They will go outside very soon.

BTW, thank you AJ, RB and everyone who gave me tips on how to dehull my seedlings. I managed to save 7 out of 8 hull bound seedlings.

Caribbean Reds
22072008209.jpg

Bhuts
22072008210.jpg

22072008211.jpg

Those are nice looking plants Andres also thanks so much for the "Patanero's" junle seeds & have great season in gardening.

They look really good and healthy! Too bad about the Datils, but since you can grow outside all year, just give it another try!

Back