• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My first pepper plants

This is my first attempt at growing peppers. I hope all goes well.

Bhut jolokia plant

yellow scotch bonnet

red savina habanero

and my ones I havents moved to larger pots yet. They include more bhut jolokia, red savina, scotch bonnets, and texas chiletepin

Looking good so far. I am just getting back into growing peppers and so far they don't look to great. Hopefully they will turn around soon.

Like Iggy said...good start...and welcome from Fort Worth

I have noticed a strange occurance with my plants I up potted to a 5 gal as opposed to ones i transferred to 1 gal pots. The ones moved to the one gallon pots have doubled in size while the ones in five gallon buckets have put on 2 new sets of leaves. Has anyone else noticed similar occurances?

rds040800 said:
I have noticed a strange occurance with my plants I up potted to a 5 gal as opposed to ones i transferred to 1 gal pots. The ones moved to the one gallon pots have doubled in size while the ones in five gallon buckets have put on 2 new sets of leaves. Has anyone else noticed similar occurances?

I believe Pepper Ridge Farm and Alabama Jack are looking into this right now. Hopefully they will swing by and comment.

I'm considering moving them to a smaller pot and working up to the 5 gal pots. The only ones that have done well in the 5 gal pots are the jalapenos, but they were in 3 gal pots.

rds040800 said:

That's because once the roots reach the edge of their containers the shift really focuses to foliar growth.

The one gal pots are green or brown while the 5 gal ones were free food grade white buckets from where i work. Would that make a difference?

rds040800 said:
The one gal pots are green or brown while the 5 gal ones were free food grade white buckets from where i work. Would that make a difference?

My freebie 5 gallon buckets still smell like olives.
That's not a bad thing, though.

mmmmm, olives..

imaguitargod said:
That's because once the roots reach the edge of their containers the shift really focuses to foliar growth.

Does that mean you should "slowly" upgrade you plants or just go head and pot them in the biggest pot possible to build longer roots and smaller plants?

LGHT said:
Does that mean you should "slowly" upgrade you plants or just go head and pot them in the biggest pot possible to build longer roots and smaller plants?

I was actually thinking the same thing.

rds040800 said:

Only some differences in soil temp. Just pointing to some possible variables.

Back