food My First Pickled Peppers (Pic)

I'm lucky and have a lot peppers this year, but that makes it tougher to use or save everything. So, I'm trying pickling/canning. This was my first attempt, but everything seemed to work fine.  These are mostly rings of Jimmy Nardello and Jalapeno.  I also threw in several whole cayennes.  The brine is 50/50 vinegar and water, with salt, garlic, black pepper, ghost and smoked jalapeno powder mixed in.  Hopefully they will make good eating!  Can't wait to make some more.

9701383709_26386a43c7_c.jpg

Thanks!  It was fun making them.  It will be even better next time, now that I know what I'm doing.

PepperLover said:
very nice.
try you some Brazilian starfish or orchid and you will always love them pickled 

I will definitely check those out for next season.  Those were your jalapenos in the jars (mostly the "cracked" Jalapa variety).

Six plus months later, these are still tasting great! I've been mostly putting them on sandwiches. But, the texture isn't as crisp as I'd like. Any tips or trade secrets to enhance pepper crispness for this season?

You could try increasing your vinegar ratio to get a pH around 4.0 and skip the hot water bath sealing step. I find that's enough heat to cook the peppers and soften them. Keep them raw and go cold brine. If the pH is low enough, they should be safe.

That's how I pickle my peppers, vegetables, and eggs. I'm on my 5th 1 gallon batch of eggs (about 2.5 dozen per gallon mixed in with onions, garlic, carrots and jalapenos) and the folks at work tear them up.

were they hot water bathed?  Or hot brined?  edit- based on your pictures, I'm assuming they were HWB'd.

I have used This Recipe from Colorado State Extension service with excellent results.  It's the Pickled Pepper recipe, not the Colorado Mix, but they are very similar.  I've done some hot water bathed ones, they will always be a little softer, don't know of any way to get around that.

If you have room in a refrigerator......cold pack using the same Pickled Pepper recipe!  Total WIN!  Crispy chiles, lasts for months. 
Make the brine and let it cool.  Wash, trim, slice the chiles and whatever, pack into jars.  Seal and refrigerate. 

Last fall, I told the farmer I get jalapenos from I could use about 20 pounds more....they showed up with 80 pounds of jalapenos!!!  I ended up making about 10 gallons of pickled peppers using the above recipe in 2 large food service tubs.  I just left them in the fridge until I could get some plastic jars and time enough to deal with them.  Eventually I packed them into pint jars and off to market they went.  Been getting rave reviews because they are still crispy.

Unfortunately, it does take up a good amount of space in the fridge, but maybe you could find room for a gallon jar or so.  

Oh! and I did add some garlic cloves, onion, and carrot to the mix....just because... ;)
IMG_1681.JPG

Here's what I did with some of the rest-  ghetto dehydrator set up-
slice the jalapenos, pile them up on the trays and wrap the sides with cling wrap.  Worked like a charm!  I probably got 3-4 times more than normal dried at one time.
IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

frydad4 said:
I LOVE your measurement system. 
I know EXACTLY how tall that setup is!!

Looks great! Nice rig!

:cool:  just putting a spin on the THP term of "....4 beers deep...."    ;)  that way people can stack up their trays and if they're not 3.5 beers tall, they can add more chiles!  :dance:  WOOT!

side note- the one plastic container that has the gallons written on it used to be used for the 'Kid to make lemonade to sell at the local Farmers Market.  He would make Lemon/lime-ade and his local specialty...Lavender Lemonade!  He'd outgrown the FM before I used the tubs for peppers.  Once they go peppers, they usually don't go back~  if ya know what I mean  ;) 

Back