• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My first taste of Indian food

There is this awesome Indian place here in town and there butter chicken is amazing, they roast the tomatoes to give it a really full body and smokey taste from the tandoor. However I always go for the Vinadaloo and ask for it as hot as they can... they have yet to kick it up to a point where it was too hot. I went to this other place and they served vindaloo but prepared it with hab/ghost peppers but I found the sauce very watery and lacked depth of flavor although it I asked for it "Super Indian HOT" really... its on their menu to order it that way, near blew an o-ring lol. Would love to try the Phaal challenge.

If you enjoy Indian food, check out the "Vah Chef" on youtube.  Literally 1000 recipes online and I find his videos quite well made.

I love East Indian food.

Vindaloo is good, but most East Indian dishes are not fiery hot. Extremely flavourful and aromatic more so than hot.

Lamb is the go to choice with any Indian dishes, as it provides that sweet amazing flavour.

I would recommend trying all the dishes, as heat shouldnt be the deciding factor imo

Lamb is the only meat I get at Indian joints. For curries. Chicken once in awhile, as it is suited for dishes such as jalfrezi, tikka, tandoori.

The Hot Pepper said:
Tikka masala, decent dish, actually a UK Indian dish.

Vindaloo is great. It's from the Goa state which used to be Portuguese, and they liked it spicy. I like the vinegar tang and heat.

True that a lot of Indian isn't spicy, but a lot is. Depends on the dish and original region.

See if you can get phall/phaal! HOTTT!

Phaal is my absolute favorite.  Lamb Phaal is my undisputed winner for Indian food dishes if the place offers it.  The only one I've found so far around here is The Bombay Palace.  I heard other places make it but they just don't have it on their menu because it's too hot for most people.  Good lord the flavor is amazing.

10 different peppers... the pepper flavor profile is ridiculous... the ghost being one, so yeah it's hot but man is it good with all those different peppers.

I may be blind but I haven't seen mention of Madras. That's a really good and pretty hot Indian dish as well.  Not insanely hot but respectable heat for most.

After my tolerance rocketed from some recent run ins with superhots it seems a lot more mild and the flavors stand out even more.  If Phaal isn't available, this is what I usually go for.

Also rogan josh is amazing. Bhuna gosht too! So many...

The Hot Pepper said:
Lamb is the only meat I get at Indian joints. For curries. Chicken once in awhile, as it is suited for dishes such as jalfrezi, tikka, tandoori.

I actually went back last week and tried the pepper lamb, which was cooked in a green peppercorn curry and flavored with saffron, and it was amazing. It's only the second dish I tried but I have a feeling it's going to be my absolute favorite.

Back