My first time growing peppers! Grow with me please!

Why didn't you just get a 4 tube fixture (or two) to hang in your existing frame(s)?  http://www.amazon.com/4lamps-DL844s-Fluorescent-Hydroponic-Fixture/dp/B00HEYCRI8

There are no brighter t5 lamps (tubes) than the T5HO.  At least not enough to notice.

So you will be setting three 4' frames sideways over the 5x3' area?  You'll be wasting a fair amount of light, but it should keep the plants growing for a while.  You probably won't get any pods, but who knows.

Peppers flower more or less continually in flushes.  (Set a lot of pods, back off flowering until those ripen, then another sex orgy.  Repeat.)

Crinkly leaves like that are both relatively normal with C.chinense and signal a calcium/magnesium deficiency.  Get some CalMag and a pH testing kit.

I see you have a little garden helper.  Me too.  Minnie loves to (p)lay in the dirt.  She's not so fond of watering.

I ordered the extra light fixture before I saw the posts about lighting suggestions.

So now I have 2 single tube fixtures and 1 double tube fixture. are you saying I can use the frames to support support fixtures with more tubes? That might help...

And yes, she loves to help, but it's actually getting annoying, she climbed in the Rubbermaid and is starting to really be more of a garden hurter.

Is there anything I can spray or something to keep her out?
And yes, I will have a title of 3 4 foot frames. The area is 4-5 ft by 2-3 feet.

The nice thing about these frames is I can lower the fixture at one and and keep it higher at the other end. So I put all the short plants on one side and all the tall plants on the other side in a gradient. The lights are always 3-6 inches above the top of any given plant.

Captive cats are easy to deal with.  First, don't get freaked out.  If she starts walking through the plant then anything physical that you do - like trying to grab her, or even scaring her to run - will cause more damage than she would on her own.  And if she steps on a plant, don't worry about it.  Just prop the plant up and it will be fine. 

To train her what's permissible and what's not.  Get a little spritz bottle of water and set for a stream.  If she starts to do something destructive, give her a little vocal "Tssst!", which should get her attention, then tell her in your command voice to cut it out.  If she doesn't, nail her once with the spritzer.  Cats (well most cats) are really smart so after one or two such events just "Tssst" and show her the spritzer.  You won't even need to shoot.  This works on anything, like claws on speaker grills.  But you have to catch her in the act so she knows what the spritz is for.

Yes, you should be able to hang another fixture on the frame.  Looks like they're all attached by chains, usually included.  And you can hang fixtures between frames.

If I bought that fixture you just linked my, how much do you think it would cost in electricity to run 12-16 hours a day? And with that fixture and my other 2, would that maybe be enough to get me some pods?
Your right... They are smart. I have been totally over reacting, I think it makes her want to go in there more often.

Yep.  If it's important to you then it's important to her and she will spend a deal of effort to try to figure out why.

I haven't seen any more of her than that one pic, but what a pretty face and what a beautiful color!  What's her name?

I can't guess on electricity costs.  A great deal depends on your local situation.  I know that here I run a four tube T8 for starting seedlings and don't notice a great deal of difference.  Obviously there is some but with all electrical appliances (HATE electric stoves) I haven't spent $100 in a month and I don't have a cheap supplier.

Thanks. Her name is Nala.

And do you mean $100 total? Or $100 just for your lights.

Because I don't have that much to spend on electricity every month!

Oh, Nala's fuzzy.  How old?  Minnie is a smooth tabby that seems to have a methredrine drip inside. ...

I meant <$100 for everything - all appliances, heat, AC.  The point was not the total amount but how much was due to the lights.  I turned off the lights in April or May and didn't notice that much of a difference.  I think I notced more letting my computer go to sleep at night rather than searching for ET.

When I said that you have some decisions to make, this is one of them.  How much can you afford to spend for a winter grow?   Them winter pods can be expensive.

Waydda minit!   How the frack tall are your light frames?  In the last pic I see a "frame" that is barely taller than the cat.  Are you serious?  Don't you undertand that peppers commonly get 6' tall? 

I have baby pepper pods on my plants. They are flowering like crazy and once the flowers fall off there are green bumps that I believe to be baby pepper pods. Pictures to follow.

My question is, since I dont have that great of a lighting setup, what will become of these baby pods? Jst a lack of growth ? 

Back