• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My growing chamber for 2009

An update:

Installed five light outlets today, each one is 17" off center apart. They are stationary, in that they won't move up or down based on the height of the plants. As it is, they will get at least 6,500 lumens, way more if - and I don't know if it makes a difference - mylar makes a difference. I still need to wrap the outside in plastic, just to seal it so heat does not escape while germinating the plants. Should have the mylar Wednesday (I'm hoping) and the lights by Friday.

But then what? Three months too early to sow seeds. I have some cukes growing in hydro that will fit, as well as some broccoli. Maybe find a bucket not as tall as the 5-gallon one to convert to hydro and stick my Green Sausage toms in. But that is going to leave more than half of it empty. That's akin to leaving a couple of containers with huge plants full of pods outside and ignoring them. What to do, what to do.

Mike

My bulbs arrived today. Put some seedlings in, closed up one side (where the ceiling and walls have been painted and took a reading. The smallest plants are getting 9,000 lux at their canopy and the larger one over 10,000. Letting the meter lay on the floor and I get 6,200. I moved it six feet away and on the floor and it still read 340 lux.This evening, I will install at least two more and see what kind of readings I get.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Interesting stuff. My bulbs produce a total of approx 20000 lumen. My box is 9 square feet and 3 feet high.
Never have measured the Lux. But know that Lux=Lumen/m2
Guess it would be near 20000 at plant canopy?

Lee,

From what Nat posted and what I seem to confirm, if your lights are putting out 20,000 lumens, they are covering the area and the canopy is a foot from the lights, you should get about 20,000 lux.

Mike

Instead of raising and lowering the mass of the plant trays - why not raise and lower the lighting rig? The mass of that is not going to change like your plants and water will.

Or have I missed the point entirely?

Got the lights installed and checked the lumens. 5,600 maybe two inches from the floor and half-way between two lights. It was a pleasant surprise, as I had installed the fixtures every 15". But I skipped a fixture so there was 30" of room between the lights.

This news has a domino effect. Instead of needing 12 lights, I'll only need eight, saving a bit over $100 in costs plus a few bucks in electricity costs.

Pretty much decided on raising about 1350 seedlings. That's how much room I have without adding additional lighting. If I sell them all - fantastic, I'll have a couple grand to spend. But base goal is to make at least $600 which will allow me to get a 10'x14' storage shed to replace my barn. I can use the lumber from the barn to build the frame of a 8'x16' greenhouse. Another $500 will take care of the siding, insulation and windows. By 2010, I should be able to add a small heater and couple of fans, enough to keep it warm and windy enough to harden plants off.

Mike

An update.

I'm down to about 1100 plants due to deciding to sell more plants in 3" containers rather the the 1x2" ones. That's still enough for me and I will be thrilled if I come anywhere close to selling that many.

Redid the lighing in my main sprouting/grow chamber. I "had" decided on using three 105 watt, 5000K CFL bulbs that would have provided from 3200-5500 lumens at the plant canopy with two 150 watt HPS and one CFL bulb that give me from 9,000 to 30,000 lumens at the top of the plants. The light spectrum is not ideal for seedlings but I think I can compensate by adjusting fertilizing. All I want is great roots and nice leaves on an 8" plant.

What a learning experience this is going to be!

Mike

Back