• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed My inexpensive raised bed

I found an old crate/pallet that had a solid bottom on it so I picked up a 12 inch x 18 foot 1 inch wood that I had Home Depot cut into 2- 4ft pieces and 2- 3ft pieces. The rest was left over stuff around the house that I had. I did built it this morning and went out and picked up some lettuce, strawberries, bell peppers, chives and green beans which I planted in the box. I made this shade cloth from left over materials from another project.

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 65
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 60
  • box3.JPG
    box3.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 57
SavinaRed said:
I found an old crate that had a solid bottom on it so I picked up a 12 inch x 18 foot 1 inch wood that I had Home Depot cut into 2- 4ft pieces and 2- 3ft pieces. The rest was left over stuff around the house that I had. I did built it this morning and went out and picked up some lettuce, strawberries, bell peppers, chives and green beans which I planted in the box. I made this shade cloth from left over materials from another project.
This looks really good! Good job!

What I used for a shade cover is the Dalen Pro Shield Commercial Landscape Fabric I bought at Costco for my weed barrier in my back yard. Does anyone have any ideas if this lets to much light through or not enough ? Thanks !

SavinaRed said:
What I used for a shade cover is the Dalen Pro Shield Commercial Landscape Fabric I bought at Costco for my weed barrier in my back yard. Does anyone have any ideas if this lets to much light through or not enough ? Thanks !
When i seen that I was going to ask about it. Im not sure? my first thought was thats not going to work,but I honestly have no idea. Put that box dead center of your yard full blast sun and see what happens. We are all counting on you for the answer.

actually the only plants in there I'm going to shade is the row of lettuce on the far left side, so I'll configure up something else. maybe just a side shade for those plants.

I'm going to add another foot across the top and use it as a greenhouse to over winter a few of my pepper plants.  I will get a thick clear plastic material for the top and sides.

SavinaRed said:
I use landscape fabric like that to harden off my seedlings (no specific brand). It works good for that, and I've never had any sun damage using it.

I think I see a space between the box you built and the ground.  I am assuming that is the thickness if the pallet.  Curious, why a bottom at all and why would you attach the sides to the top of the pallet instead of the bottom?  Is this a drainage thing? 

I ask because I live in KY where we only have two types of land.  Its an inch of top soil and then rock or an inch of top soil and then clay.  We got the stuff with clay.  Not good for drainage.  I built a raised bed with sidewalls once, it rained and I had a swimming pool despite the raised bed itself being filled with decent amended / mulched up earth.

ajdrew said:
I think I see a space between the box you built and the ground.  I am assuming that is the thickness if the pallet.  Curious, why a bottom at all and why would you attach the sides to the top of the pallet instead of the bottom?  Is this a drainage thing? 

I ask because I live in KY where we only have two types of land.  Its an inch of top soil and then rock or an inch of top soil and then clay.  We got the stuff with clay.  Not good for drainage.  I built a raised bed with sidewalls once, it rained and I had a swimming pool despite the raised bed itself being filled with decent amended / mulched up earth.
I have a gopher problem in my yard and the pallet I found already had a solid board on the bottom which I drilled some holes in for drainage. I'm getting some plastic for the top to make it like a greenhouse for the rainy season and winter time. Hopefully that will stop it from becoming a mud box.

RedSavina, wow that shows how different people's grow experience, tech, and situations can be.  I would have never thought of gophers because except in very limited areas on my property a gopher would have to have mining equipment to move in due to the clay.  In the garden, I have 12 foot long raised rows that are good rich top soil, but they sit on clay so gophers haven't a chance.  Between the rows is run off so drainage is not a problem.  Been years piling on the mulch and compost to get them there.

Very cool, man. My next raised bed is going to be cheap cheap. The one I made this summer was quite pricey :/ 

What percent is that shade cloth?

I haven't purchased any yet. Will be soon. 

Spicy Mushroom said:
Very cool, man. My next raised bed is going to be cheap cheap. The one I made this summer was quite pricey :/ 

What percent is that shade cloth?

I haven't purchased any yet. Will be soon.
its not a real shade cloth but a weed guard material I bought at Costco. I'm planning to get a 30% before the summer heat arrives.

Back