• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My Jalapenos are huge but have less heat than a bell pepper

I grew these from the seeds of an extremely hot Jalapeno from the store but these have zero heat.
I even left it on the vine long enough for it to start getting red around the base of the pepper near the stem.
Not sure why the parent can be so hot and the offspring is heatless. :think:

Photo1379.jpg

The parent grew true but the offspring are likely the result of a cross with something much more mild ie bell.
You will only get the exact same results from a parent / mother, if you clone that plant.

Thanks guys. Guess I will have to try some different seeds next time.
Practically everything commercially grown is genetically altered nowadays so maybe that has something to do with it?

All my other peppers from Pepper Joes are doing well but are still green since we have had a mild summer.

CarvinGuitarist,

-X it with a Fooled you for a Muy Grande Fooled You-

Where in SF Bay area are you? I am living downtown right now-

I agree, sounds like a cross between the original and the mild. Perhaps the original was a cross to begin with. If this is F2, you could maybe tell by looking at different plants grown out from the same seed. Have you noticed any differences between the plant this pepper came off, and its brothers and sisters?

I agree, sounds like a cross between the original and the mild. Perhaps the original was a cross to begin with. If this is F2, you could maybe tell by looking at different plants grown out from the same seed. Have you noticed any differences between the plant this pepper came off, and its brothers and sisters?

I only grew one plant from the seeds so I have nothing to compare it to.

Looks tasty too me, would be perfect for the wife because she can't handle the heat too well ;) Does it still taste like a Jalapeno? Like the others said, it's likely an F-2 plant which have different genetics. Like this one is without heat, but maybe the next one you pick could have the heat the store bought Jalapeno had. You need too select the ones you like the genetics from and breed it into further generations. That way you might have big pods and nice heat.

Does it still taste like a Jalapeno?

No, it tastes like a green bell pepper. :lol:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try some better seeds next year as I don't trust seeds from store bought peppers.
Since the pepper they came from was so hot I assumed the seeds would produce a hot plant as well. Apparently not.

Grow some Biker Billy jalapenos - they are the most consistently hot I've tried. Huge pods that will light you up.

Back