• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My Most wanted maters for 2010

Well I have some maters coming . The varieties with an asterisk are the ones that are here or on the way. And I have three additions that came as extras. Stump of the World, Earl's Faux and Gigantesque.

Tomato

Costoluto Fiorentino*

Market Wonder

San Marzano Redorta

Cherokee Purple*

Cowlicks Brandywine*

Al-Kuffa

Cosmonaut Volkov

Thessaloniki

Summer Cider (orange)

Abe Lincoln (Buckbee's Strain)

Omar's Lebanese*

Giant Belgium*

Carbon

Vorlon

Kevin

Nice list. I'm keeping this year's list very simple:
  • Brandywine
  • Micro-Tom (Just for the kick of it)
  • Opalka
  • Russian Rose
  • Sungold
  • Tiny Tim
  • Tomatoberry
  • White Queen
  • Yellow Pear

Kevin,

That's a lot of varieties! IME, this is good and bad. I had about 13 different types two years ago.

The Good: I discovered some of the best tomatoes I have ever tried.
The Bad: I had a lot of garden that produced nothing or what did produce was not worth the time and effort.

Mike

That's the chance we as gardeners ( and farmers) take every year we plant. Some things are outstanding one and next year they well stink. One year while still in Cali I had Early Pick ( Second year grown) Roma, Better Boy, and San Marzano.All of them except San Marzano failed badly where they all did well before. Climate has a big play in it too. So trying several if this can be done and letting folks in your area know what did well is a great way of helping fellow gardeners getting some of the best. Who knows you might even end up having a friendly harvest contest:cool:

Kevin

Ciao Kevin-

I can hook you up with seeds for San Marzano Redorta, Cosmonaut Volkov, and Thessoloniki. You've got a really good list there. Omar's Lebanese and Giant Belgium will be your main challenges in zone 5. Let me know what you think of Carbon, especially if you've grown Cherokee Purple/Chocolate before.

Some great choices. I'm planning on narrowing my varieties down to: Opalka, Sungold, and Omar's lebanese or another good tasting/producing slicing tom. I grew the summer cider this year and they turned out really good, I just wish I had saved some seeds.

Ciao Derek-

You know what, it was a tough year all around, including getting to the seed-saving. In fact, I'm still processing seeds and it's mid-October.

Sorellina said:
Ciao Kevin-

I can hook you up with seeds for San Marzano Redorta, Cosmonaut Volkov, and Thessoloniki. You've got a really good list there. Omar's Lebanese and Giant Belgium will be your main challenges in zone 5. Let me know what you think of Carbon, especially if you've grown Cherokee Purple/Chocolate before.

Hey Sorellina,

Thank you for the offer.We are in zone 5b. Everything was a challenge this year. The weather was not as good as it should have been so production was down through the whole garden. Lot of tomatoes lost to BER and cracking cuz we had to much rain and cool temps.We would have had way more maters planted this year had I not landed in the hospital at the start of planting season.But we did manage to get some nice maters this year despite the weather. Would have had Cherokee Purple this year but we just could not get the plants out this year.

3 varieties I did not list where sent to me to do some comparisons with others. I now have Gigantesque,Stump of the World and Earl's Faux to try.Also found a US source for Vorlon. I have been informed by Carolyn Male that Adam Gleckler ( Gleckler Seedsman) Will have Vorlon and many other rare maters for 2010. Sending ya a PM.

Thanks again,

Kevin

P.S. Ya need to clear some of your inbox so I can send ya a PM :)

Here is an updated list.

Tomato

Costoluto Fiorentino

Al-Kuffa

Summer Cider (orange)

Abe Lincoln (Buckbee's Strain)

Vorlon

Peppers:

Jalapeno

Fatali

Here is another update list.With some surprise maters sent as well I am expanding next years number of varieties to about thirty.

Note:Aside from seed saving next year I plan to take some fresh home grown produce to the local food bank which will take it.Some here know I planed on doing this for 2009 but as we know that did not come to pass. This is my way of thanking the generosity of others by sending out healthy produce and seeds where it is most needed and appreciated. I think this is a great way to pay forward the generosity of fellow gardeners.

Again thanks to all who have helped out and the best of luck to all for the 2010 growing season.

Kevin

Tomato

Al-Kuffa

Summer Cider (orange)

Market Wonder

San Marzano Redorta

Italian Giant Beefsteak

Kevin

Back