• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My new beds

Here's the start of my new beds for next year. I still have to take out the forms from the middle of each . Then fill them with soil .... these and maybe a few pots should do me well this next season. I had to share it with you folks ........ because wifey could care less !! LOL

My largest bed is 20 ' x 2 1/2 ' wide ID , x 2 ' deep. The smaller one is 14 1/2 ' x 2 1/2 ' ID x 2 ' deep.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

LargeBed.jpg

SmallerBed.jpg

Very nice all you have to do install heavy gage plastic to protect wood frame from water & drill few hole at the bottom for drainage & you all set, very nice made good job.

915river said:
Very nice all you have to do install heavy gage plastic to protect wood frame from water & drill few hole at the bottom for drainage & you all set, very nice made good job.

If is concrate no need anything

915river ,

I think you caught what I'm doing. Removing the forms from the middle is all that's needed before I start adding soil. It will be a simple concrete bed . Bottom is open already .

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Looks great! I never thought of using concrete for the walls...Just as idea, since it has worked really well for me, fill the first 2-3 inches of the bottom with gravel so that the beds drain well. Peppers don't like wet feet.

P. Dreadie said:
I had to share it with you folks ........ because wifey could care less !! LOL

Peace ,
P. Dreadie
They're beautiful. I don't get support from anyone in real life either. That's why I spend time here.

Nice job. I see many home cooked jerk meals in your future! :)

P. Dreadie, if you dont mind I would like to ask a couple of questions. Did you mix the concrete yourself? How much concrete did you need? Do you plan on using something in the bottom for drainage?

I like it very much. Nice job.

Mjdtexan ,

I just saw your questions. I used premixed , like they bring out in a truck. Mixing your own for something this big you couldn't do in wheel barrow . If you had a cement mixer , like brick layers use you could do it but it wouldn't be fun. I forgot ( old age ) how many yards I needed for both beds. The price was close to $400.00 for the concrete.

I my view you also don't want to pour the beds in small sections , like 1/4 of it at a time. You could and maybe the cold joints wouldn't matter, but I don't have to worry about that.

The beds are just walls. No bottom , so they drain into what was lawn. In my area , or at least my lawn, drainage is no problem.

I hope that helps a little. If you have more questions ..... ask away.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

That's awesome! I can't wait till we're in the new house and I can get working on something like this. Looks like 2011 growing season, but I'll start the projects in 2010 :)

P. Dreadie, thank you for your response. I kinda figured you didnt do it by wheelbarrow but I was a little confused because it didnt look like enough concret to call out a cement truck. I am fairly certain those guys have a minimum amount of yards. I am in luck, my neighbor happens to have one of those concrete mixers. I had the unfortunate experiance as a youngster of having to feed one of those mixers for about 6 months. I really like your idea. I am working on plans for something like it. Thank You again.

Is there a big advantage to raised beds? They're going to get warmer during the day and colder during the night, I almost think that would be a bad thing.

The soil will never get compacted. My DAWG can't get into them . I have a sprinkler system for the lawn and the wife would get vex if I jacked with that. Wife is happy now . As far heat transfer ???? Concrete will absorb heat during the day. Good or bad ?? This is what I have to work with. My plants will love it. I did pretty good for my first try with a pepper garden this year and the beds are same .

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Thanks P Dreadie for the explanation. Keeping animals out was my main thought, while heat was my main concern. One thing, tending and picking will be soooo much less back breaking. Never thought about soil compaction, but that may be a bonus too. Regardless, it looks great and I really want to try something similar.

Great looking structure but playing the devil's advocate (it's Halloween!) - why go through the expense, time and trouble of building this when you have what seems to be great soil to start with. Not to mention, if you sell the house, how will potential buyers look at it?

Mike

Mike,

"A plague of rats on your corn" ........ Didn't read that I have a sprinkler system for the lawn and a wife that loves the lawn more than my peppers? Are you wanting to buy my house ??? Then shut up ...... LOL

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back