• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My new grow light cage for chillis

Hi all!

I needed something to support my light shade as my seedlings were getting too large to have the shade sitting right on top of them on the floor, so i rigged this up with 1inch PVC!

It was fairly cheap and is pretty sturdy. The point of weakness is the chain, at the moment i just have it tied on 4 simple knots. Dodgy but should hold :P Any suggestions for that?

Also i obviously need to enclose it fully. My light is a 130W fluro so it's probably enough juice as is but for more efficiency i definitely need to wrap it in something?
I was thinking large white cardboard sheets?
Or i could get one of those commercial grow tents to sit it in though they arent cheap. It measures 110cm high, 80cm wide, 60cm deep

Anyway here is pics!

growlightcage1.jpg

growlightcage2.jpg

growlightcage3.jpg

LancelBracken said:
The point of weakness is the chain, at the moment i just have it tied on 4 simple knots. Dodgy but should hold :P Any suggestions for that?
Take a coat hangar (pretty thick one), cut a piece of it about 8cm long...bend about 1-2 cm on each end back on itself to make a "two ended hook"...I use these to adjust the height of my lights and I have nearly the same chain as you do...crude drawing of what I am talking about

hook.jpg

I used a couple of old laptop security cables to hang mine. The type that you would use to lock your laptop to a desk at the office. Basically it's just a thick metal wire with some plastic around it. As far as an enclosure before I dedicated an empty closet I put a large box over them and just tied the lights to the top of the box using the same cable. Since the box is cardboard I was able to just poke a couple of holes in the top to run the cable through to secure the light. For the sheilding I took a couple of car window sheilds that's used to reflect the light and lined the entire box. Not sure what type of material they put on those things, but it looks just like some type of mylar / reflective foil and worked great. A small fan and a couple of vents keep the entire box cool and helped thicken the plant stalks.

LancelBracken said:
It was fairly cheap and is pretty sturdy. The point of weakness is the chain, at the moment i just have it tied on 4 simple knots. Dodgy but should hold :P Any suggestions for that?

You could hit up the hardware store and buy 4 washers, 2 bolts, and 2 nuts. Wouldn't cost you much.

Light Stand

Hi There,

I also recently built a stand to hold a Envirolite bulb with reflector. They're actually quite heavy.
I used Pine and woodglue as I had to make it look a little decent (my wife isn't happy about turning our apartment into a growhouse).

For the hanging of the light I used chains and little "S" hooks. makes it easy to raise and lower.

Cheers.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BNHbc1N5x-WrG1ee1fsXGg?feat=directlink

You can see the little hook.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5KhAZz3GLtZrRStCdUylWg?feat=directlink

Here you can see the stand

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BIvSODvFKYU4XN4gCNuW7g?feat=directlink

The whole thing with light.

It took a couple of ours and a couple bottles of wine :lol:

Nice setup. I will be doing something like that, but 2 large pots instead of 6 small ones in a few months once the sprouts are ready for outdoors.

Cool set up guys. Much to my girlfriends love our laundry is full of plants with a 400 watt sodium cranking...cant wait until they all are nice and fat! It'll be a jungle in there.

Back