My New Kitchen Sink!

My new 8 inch, double basin, stainless steel sink with an American Standard pull-down faucet:

100_0896.jpg

100_0895.jpg

100_0894.jpg

This thing is awesome!!!

Only problem is the faucet head isn't working properly. It's supposed to switch from aerator to shower and it's stuck on shower.....so I'm taking the head back to the store for a replacement.

I also have so much water pressure that it'll blow water all over the counter if I turn it up past halfway. (I think the aerator setting will solve much of this)

The sink was right at $130 and the faucet was $96 with tax.......then it cost me $100 to get it installed.

Not too shabby!!

Sh*t Paul, I could have installed it for you cheaper (I was a plumber in a past life) all I would require would have been some beer and something on the grill....ofcourse, that may have totaled more than $100. :lol: But could have done it for you.

Nevermind......

Sounds like you may need a pressure reducing valve under your sink if the new head doesn't solve this for you.

Pepperfreak said:
Sh*t Paul, I could have installed it for you cheaper (I was a plumber in a past life) all I would require would have been some beer and something on the grill....ofcourse, that may have totaled more than $100. :lol: But could have done it for you.

Nevermind......

Sounds like you may need a pressure reducing valve under your sink if the new head doesn't solve this for you.

Hell, the beer is ALWAYS included here, my friend!!

You may be dead-on about the regulator. I have way too much water pressure! I'm thinking it's the head itself, though because the switch doesn't seem to be attached to anything and just kinda wobbles in the spray head. We shall see!

I'm off to Home Depot!

paulky_2000 said:
Hell, the beer is ALWAYS included here, my friend!!

You may be dead-on about the regulator. I have way too much water pressure! I'm thinking it's the head itself, though because the switch doesn't seem to be attached to anything and just kinda wobbles in the spray head. We shall see!

I'm off to Home Depot!

If I were you and were my customer, I would recommend spending a little more money and return that faucet for a Delta. When I was in the buisness, Delta was the only way to go. Just my 2 cents....:)

paulky_2000 said:
The sink was right at $130 and the faucet was $96 with tax.......then it cost me $100 to get it installed.

Not too shabby!!

SWEET set up! Those sprayers are so handy, and I love a hi-rise faucet. One of my pet peeves is not being able to get a tall pot under the faucet.

You had to pay Retta $100 to install it? :lol:

We've bought faucets from HD in the past and not had a problem with them, but our plumber contractor friends tell us that American Standard or Delta from Home Depot is not the same as American Standard or Delta from a contractor. Something about plastic parts on the insides instead of brass. Don't know if it's true or one of those urban legends.

I see the scrubby sponge in the holder. Please tell me you sanitize that thing once or twice daily.......

As being a former professional plumber, I can safely say that Faucets are ranked accordingly. From economy (read you get what you pay for) to the best: Peerless, American Standard and then there is Moen and Delta. Moen has come a long way and thus is ranked up there with Delta.

As for buying these at HD or Lowe's, they are the same faucet and I'd be willing to bet that the price for the same faucet purchased through your contractor is probably costing about 3-5% more for his markup. However with that in mind, HD and Lowe's do provide a wide range of Delta and Moen faucets including their low-end models as well, btw I think Peerless which is a low-end faucet is actually made by Delta. I always recommend that folks examine what they are buying before they purchase and to do some comparative shopping for the right faucet. One place I always recommend folks to check out is Delta's or Moen's websites first, then after finding the faucet you like go find it at Lowe's or HD. This way you won't be fooled into buying something of lesser quality.

Sorry for rambling.....Like many of you I assume, I hate doing things twice and I firmly believe that when it comes to faucets, you truly get what you pay for.

thehotpepper.com said:
I did Kohler.

Kohler! I forgot to mention them. They are included in the top, I just forgot them, probably cause I sold more Delta faucets than Kohler, but they are a great faucet too and hold up really well. Thanks for the reminder THP.

Pepperfreak said:
Kohler! I forgot to mention them. They are included in the top, I just forgot them, probably cause I sold more Delta faucets than Kohler, but they are a great faucet too and hold up really well. Thanks for the reminder THP.

And Grohe~

salsalady said:
And Grohe~

I've never heard of that line, I might have to check them out.

Paul, did you get your faucet returned all okay? Whenever my current faucet goes out, I'll be replacing it with something like yours since i too hate not being able to get be Chili pot, corn pot and canner under my current faucet. But since it ain't broke I ain't fixin it till it is. :D

A Grohe faucet like Pauly's starts at $300 and goes up from there. We've seen them in many of the homes we've worked on.

Notice it's not what's in OUR home! Just the homes we work on..........

Pepperfreak said:
If I were you and were my customer, I would recommend spending a little more money and return that faucet for a Delta. When I was in the buisness, Delta was the only way to go. Just my 2 cents....:)

The American Standard seemed a bit tighter and better built compared to the Price Pfisters, Moens, and Deltas in the same basic configuration.....I kid you not. All the rest seemed to have a lot of slop in the handles and swivvel. And the American Standard was 50 bucks cheaper across the board. I hope I don't live to regret it, but right now I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. ;)

salsalady said:
SWEET set up! Those sprayers are so handy, and I love a hi-rise faucet. One of my pet peeves is not being able to get a tall pot under the faucet.

You had to pay Retta $100 to install it? :lol:

We've bought faucets from HD in the past and not had a problem with them, but our plumber contractor friends tell us that American Standard or Delta from Home Depot is not the same as American Standard or Delta from a contractor. Something about plastic parts on the insides instead of brass. Don't know if it's true or one of those urban legends.

I see the scrubby sponge in the holder. Please tell me you sanitize that thing once or twice daily.......

So far, I'm LOVING the pull down sprayer! It's a braided steel line and looks quite sturdy! Retta is actually the one who lined-up the plumber! She works for Paul Davis Restoration and has loads of contractors at her fingertips. When he got here (I live 25 miles from town), he had to remove the old sink, re-saw the hole for the new sink, fix an old leak in the drain, re-configure the water lines as they did not match up with the lines on the new faucet, added a redundant set of shutoff valves.....and was only going to charge me $75 bucks cause he's so fond of Retta. I gave him $100 and felt satisfied.

My scrubby sponge get's washed with the whites twice....then I throw it out for a new one. Yes, they are quite nasty if left too long!

Pepperfreak said:
I've never heard of that line, I might have to check them out.

Paul, did you get your faucet returned all okay? Whenever my current faucet goes out, I'll be replacing it with something like yours since i too hate not being able to get be Chili pot, corn pot and canner under my current faucet. But since it ain't broke I ain't fixin it till it is.

I took Retta with me to return it. When we got to the returns counter, the girl working said she'd have to call a manager, cause exchanging just the sprayer head was quite odd. The girl told the manager that there was a woman that wanted to exchange just the sprayer head. The manager told her no, we couldn't and that we'd have to pull the whole faucet and bring it back.

Retta just smiled and asked to speak with the manager in person. Disgusted, the girl walked off to get him from somewhere else in the store. When he approached the counter he saw Retta.....standing there in her Paul Davis Restoration shirt. He stopped, turned to the girl, and told her to give the PDR rep anything she needed.

We were out of there in 5 minutes with no further questions or paperwork!

It's nice to have connections! :rofl:

Back