• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic My Organic Back Yard Raised Bed Garden In Las Vegas - Four 4x8 Raised Beds

I like the color. was hoping for same taste with different color. I have some sauce ideas that could use a good spicy purple pepper.

Hey ASFx, can you save me some seeds from that purple cayenne you are growing? (After they fully ripen to red, so the seeds are viable ;)) I would be happy to trade ya something for 'em. Thanks! :)

Hey ASFx, can you save me some seeds from that purple cayenne you are growing? (After they fully ripen to red, so the seeds are viable ;)) I would be happy to trade ya something for 'em. Thanks! :)

Sure I can save you some. Can't guarantee they won't be cross pollinated though. I have quite a few different peppers all within close proximity.

Sure I can save you some. Can't guarantee they won't be cross pollinated though. I have quite a few different peppers all within close proximity.
Perhaps if from several pods in the center of the plant, at least one or two seeds would grow true?

The reason I had asked is that I have had purple cayenne on my wants list for a quite a while now, but have been unable to find anybody here that had any to trade!

Thanks! :)

Perhaps if from several pods in the center of the plant, at least one or two seeds would grow true?

The reason I had asked is that I have had purple cayenne on my wants list for a quite a while now, but have been unable to find anybody here that had any to trade!

Thanks! :)

Oh yea i'm sure many of them should still come out purple. I'll be sure to save the seeds from all the ripe peppers. I don't like to harvest them until they're fully ripe anyway.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and video of your garden set up!

Your backyard looks fully enclosed. Does that help with reducing the winds? I have a couple of Earthboxes on the back patio behind a six foot wooden fence (east/southestern exposure), and they don't get near as much wind damage as the plants in the veggie bed on the south side of the house. Even though there are mountains all around us, we are on a mesa and are considered a high desert. Though we don't get near as hot as where you are, we share the single digit humidity, strong winds, and the intense high altitude sun.

On your raised beds, do they have a bottom to them? They are deeper than most raised beds I've seen. Is that to help conserve moisture?

Thank you for sharing the pictures and video of your garden set up!

Your backyard looks fully enclosed. Does that help with reducing the winds? I have a couple of Earthboxes on the back patio behind a six foot wooden fence (east/southestern exposure), and they don't get near as much wind damage as the plants in the veggie bed on the south side of the house. Even though there are mountains all around us, we are on a mesa and are considered a high desert. Though we don't get near as hot as where you are, we share the single digit humidity, strong winds, and the intense high altitude sun.

On your raised beds, do they have a bottom to them? They are deeper than most raised beds I've seen. Is that to help conserve moisture?

It might help to reduce wind slightly for the plants that are against the wall, but the wind can still get very strong in my yard.

The raised beds don't have a bottom to them. The ground in my back yard is extremely hard clay. I tried to dig into it with a pick axe once, and it literally made sparks. I made the beds really deep to make sure there would be plenty of root space since the ground was so hard. I didn't think the roots would grow much more once they hit the native soil. Also it definitely does help to retain more moisture during the day. I use netafim sub-surface irrigation lines, so the tubing is about 2 inches under the surface of the soil, with a 0.9GPH emitter every 12 inches. It really helps to reduce evaporation. Also i've noticed that my tomatoes really benefit from the extra root space since they get huge so fast. Last year when I pulled them out, some of them had thick roots as much as 5ft long.

WOW!!!

How many pots of coffee did that video guy have before filming? He's a long winded feller, never skipped a beat!!! LOL

Nice raised beds and plants Jason! Excellent!

~Dig

How do you keep them warm in the winter? Also my tomatos and peppers burn and stop producing in the summer here in vegas.

SBR_GUY said:
How do you keep them warm in the winter? Also my tomatos and peppers burn and stop producing in the summer here in vegas.
 I only grow peppers during summer. During winter i grow all my greens and other winter veggies. I plant my peppers ever 1 sq ft and let them grow into each other so they can stay cool enough and keep the soil shaded. For your tomatoes, if you want to grow larger ones, make sure you choose heat tolerant varieties. Pretty much all smaller varieties i've tried work well too, like cherries, grape tomatoes, and romas. I let my tomatoes grow as bushes and plant them every 2sq ft. That way they all keep themselves cool. Trying to prune them and grow them as a single vine is basically a death sentence in vegas. 

ASFx said:
 I only grow peppers during summer. During winter i grow all my greens and other winter veggies. I plant my peppers ever 1 sq ft and let them grow into each other so they can stay cool enough and keep the soil shaded. For your tomatoes, if you want to grow larger ones, make sure you choose heat tolerant varieties. Pretty much all smaller varieties i've tried work well too, like cherries, grape tomatoes, and romas. I let my tomatoes grow as bushes and plant them every 2sq ft. That way they all keep themselves cool. Trying to prune them and grow them as a single vine is basically a death sentence in vegas. 

Nice idea keeping the soil shaded...........there is a big drop with the temperature in the shade.

Dudeeeee!!! We must meet! I live here too! If I had the space I wouldn't mind making some of those wicked looking raised beds!

The amount of soil you put in those scare me tho.

Hope you have a great season! :cheers:

-Walt

Hi Walt, sorry I didn't see yoru message earlier. I haven't visited the forum in a while. Did you start your garden yet or are you still thinking about it?

Hi Walt, sorry I didn't see yoru message earlier. I haven't visited the forum in a while. Did you start your garden yet or are you still thinking about it?

No prob man same here, I have a few plants started already and I'm germinating some more right now. Let me know if you need anything and we can meet up or something. I got tons of stuff I won't be growing because I don't have much space... Again... Lol. So hit me up thru here or I'll PM you my number. Very cool to see more local Chiliheads.

-Walt

Back