• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering My overwintered Bhut Jolokia plant

Last year was my first year growing the Bhut Jolokia, and it did suprisingly well compared to the other plants I tried to grow.
I loved the pepper so much I read into overwintering which was in itself something amazing to me.  I didn't know pepper plants could live so long!
Anyways, I live in central Illinois, so our season isn't exactly the longest.  I brought the plant indoors in October, the rest of the pods ripened up to a nice red,
the plant lost all of its leaves, I pruned it back to 12 inches tall (it was about 18 inches tall) and it has since grown back very nicely.  I have been picking flowers off of it
pretty frequently.  I read that these plants can get 3-4 feet tall, and I want it to reach a mature height this year before putting out any pods.  I have it in a nice about 5 gallon
pot with some potting mix and vermiculite;  mulched the top inch or so.  If anyone can chime in with tips that'd be appreciated.  I'll upload some pictures here so you guys can see how she's doing.  I think I'm doing good for the first time around.  I keep the plant in a room that has a massive east and south facing window.  It's pretty much a little pantry turned greenhouse in the corner of my house.  I keep the temperature between 70-80 F at all times, with humidity in excess of 50% most of the time.  I water it once weekly with water I bioled the night before watering.

TyWZwmo.jpg

E5wYc8z.jpg

hfmo0m5.jpg

Looks good I would let it bud . It isn't gonna get to big inside with limited light in the nursery   ;)

romy6 said:
 Looks good I would let it bud . It isn't gonna get to big inside with limited light in the nursery   ;)
I'm just trying to keep it vegetating until it gets warm enough to put it outside.  I'm not trying to get it to produce inside.

Welcome!

I would let it bloom, too. The plant is going to split the stem (Y) each time it flowers (each node) whether or not you remove the blossoms. And when the plant is flowering, it will still grow. I would just let it go and more likely than not, the flowers will just drop off by themselves with the lower light environment either way.

If you DO want it to get big, then when the plant splits (Y's) trim off the horizontal-most growing branch of the two. This will direct 100% of the plants energy (that would have been split into two branhces) into that one and if it is growing upwards, then your plant will be taller. You can always let it canopy after it gets to the height you want... same thing as people do with roses and bougainvilleas'''''''''v'

tr910_rose_tree.jpg

P5124809.jpg

Of course, the stem is not likely going to be straight like that since each node it changes directions a little. But the idea is sound.

WhatYouKnowAbhutThat said:
I'm just trying to keep it vegetating until it gets warm enough to put it outside.  I'm not trying to get it to produce inside.

Aw, leave a few.  A handful of early-season pods would be sooooo nice!  ;)

Your plant looks great, better than my overwintered plants here in Arizona!  (Admittedly left outside on all but the near and sub freezing nights.  Many plants have at least a few of last year's tired leaves hanging on.)

I suggest you consider potting up if you want it to reach it's full potential. A 5 gallon pot is acceptable to grow and generate pods, but it will grow even more if you put it in a larger pot. I had a Bhut Jolokia caramel in about a 20 gallon container last year. I also had a Carolina Reaper in a pot that size. The reaper reached about 6 feet tall and around 5 feet wide. You'll need to stake it to support the weight of the limbs and pods. I use a piece of bamboo placed in the middle of the pot while the plant is still small. The plant will grow around the bamboo. You can also tie the limbs off for support. I posted several progress videos last year, take a look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vD4llEeXCQ

peppernovice said:
  I suggest you consider potting up if you want it to reach it's full potential. A 5 gallon pot is acceptable to grow and generate pods, but it will grow even more if you put it in a larger pot. I had a Bhut Jolokia caramel in about a 20 gallon container last year. I also had a Carolina Reaper in a pot that size. The reaper reached about 6 feet tall and around 5 feet wide. You'll need to stake it to support the weight of the limbs and pods. I use a piece of bamboo placed in the middle of the pot while the plant is still small. The plant will grow around the bamboo. You can also tie the limbs off for support. I posted several progress videos last year, take a look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Tim

really nice grow you had ! i did catch the earlier ones when they were small , what  Ferts. were you giving them ? all 15 gallon pots ?     :onfire:
nice looking plant ! you got a early jump on things , where a bouts you at here in illinois my friend ?

I'm in North Carolina. I typically alternate between fish emulsion and Miracle grow. I add lime, blood meal, bone meal, and Osmocote to the medium when I pot them.

Tim

I typically alternate between fish emulsion and Miracle grow.

Exactly what I do :onfire:

Tim, you still using Pro-mix? I have to get my Fatali and Bhut in 15 gallon containers..they are in 5 gallon buckets now and appear root bound. Pro-mix feels hard too.

I almost exclusively used Pro Mix last year. I had all but about 3 plants in it. I actually used the Pro Mix HP. I like it because it drains faster.

Tim

Back