• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My peppers refused to set fruit until I pulled out the beans

I have always grown my pepper plants in pots with no weird problems...they always set fruit and gave me quite a bounty.
This year I decided to try some 4 x 4 beds...

Same peppers, poblano, jalapeno, New Mex Joe Parkers, & Corno do torno peppers...the pepper plants kept growing and growing, setting flowers, then flowers falling off...over and over again.

This went on for several months. I checked soil, water, temperature and was even hand pollinating just in case....still no fruit set.....until I read some post that mentioned beans and peppers don't mix well in the garden.

I decided to pull out the few bush beans I had growing in the beds that also occupied the pepper plants and shockingly, the next week my plants actually started setting fruit......almost immediately......they are now producing like crazy.......

so my question is......Am I crazy or do peppers and beans not grow well together in a small garden????

I have 3 different species of beans on one end of my garden and a bunch of peppers on the other end. My garden is only about 16 feet long. Im only having the normal issues with growing peppers hehe. Although now that you mention it, I have one plant right beside the beans and it is bare of flower or bud and the rest all have something on them.. hmmm you have me wondering now. For the record, I hardly know you, how can I think you are crazy? :)

it is a possibility that beans compete with peppers

there are some plants in gardens that will do that

hope this helps thanks your friend Joe

This is why you never put beans in chili :lol:

Thanks for proving this.

(Moved to correct forum.)

Back